WinXP on MacBook Air 2014 Yosemite

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to run an application that only works on Windows XP and older. I need to install WinXP on my Macbook Air 2014, upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite. I don't have a disc drive so I have the WinXP ISO image mounted on a USB flash drive.

I tried running it on VirtualBox but I'm getting the "Fatal: no bootable medium found! System Halted" error... Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.:)

Reaction score
It's been quite some time since I needed to run Windows apps on my Mac (it was when I was working, and needed it for my off hours support tasks). The first thing you need to do is to decide which software you want to use to get your Mac "ready" for Windows. If you use BootCamp (contained in the Utilities folder), it will first partition your hard drive for you. Here is the information:

"Click the Install button and Boot Camp Assistant will resize your Mac OS X partition and create the new partition for Windows. Your Mac will then restart and boot theWindows installer from the USB drive. Go through the installer and install Windows on your Mac like you'd install it on any other PC."

If instead you decide to use a third party product like Parallels, VM Fusion, or VirtualBox, you'll have to create the partition yourself, then install Windows on it. This article does good job comparing 3 of the methods:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164817/the_best_way_to_run_windows_on_your_mac.html

That article actually does not include VirtualBox in the analysis, but this link explains how to use it:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1145879/vbox312.html

Maybe other folks with more expertise can provide additional help.

Ask a Question