Suggestions re: purchasing an inexpensive, refurbished MAC?

Reaction score
Greetings,
Over the months some of you on this forum have tried to lend me an assist with my many, many Mac problems.
Thank You.
Unfortunately, I have a very "special" mac, that resists all of your suggestions and my entreaties to behave itself!!
I really can't afford to replace this mac, but, I must.
The screen zooms in and out at will, the cursor is often unmoored, the screens roll through unasked. (I didn't even know that it had multiple desktops!)
I can never tell from one day to the next whether or not it will be usable.
I do think that the basic problem is that I've been unable to download the new version of Safari. (I purchased the mac from someone on Ebay)
When I tried to download it, I was asked for a password, then, when I couldn't come up with the password, it sent an email to someone at a .edu address.
Then in order for me to access my email (google no longer supported my version of Safari) I downloaded a copy of Chrome.

For those of you who wonder, some of the suggestions I received were to run a malware detector. Did that, found nothing.
So, finally, my question. Are there any suggestions that you can make regarding purchasing another inexpensive, refurbished MAC?
I do need the disk drive, and I used my mac for basic stuff, email, reading, and I admit, streaming movies:)
No fancy stuff here.

Reaction score
First, what type of Mac do you want? iMac? Mac laptop? Mac Mini? Mac Pro desktop?

Secondly, what third party (ie, n on-Apple) software do you use (besides Google Chrome)?

Third, what exact Mac model do you have now, and what Mac OS is running on it?

Fourth, what is your budget for another machine?

Reaction score
Greetings Honestead,
To be perfectly honest, I'd much rather repair it than replace it...... but
The thing I loved about this computer was that it had windows installed, (I paid for extra memory) which meant that I didn't have to purchase additional programs.
I spent about $450 on this one, but at this time, I'm hoping to find a computer in the 300 dollar range.
OK, you can stop laughing now:)

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 7.17.18 PM.png

Reaction score
Greetings Pasquanel,
Thanks for your input.
No I'm not.
I only use the track pad, which is, unfortunately, also often unmoored:)
Cheers!
Marlene

Reaction score
If you are willing to spend somewhat more, you can most likely get a recent 13" MacBook Air, with a 256 gig SSD. I have owned 2 of them (a mid 2013 model, and now a mid 2017 model). They work very well, can run the latest version of the Mac OS, and are very light. Here's a complete list of ones available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RC2.A0.H0.XMac.TRS0&_nkw=macbook+air&_sacat=0

This one is interesting:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacB...211819&hash=item3faab20040:g:wT0AAOSwJFhbkaMm

That is the one I have, and I am quite happy with it.

Ask a Question