Macbook Pro 2.33Ghz 2Gb ram 120 Gb HD - Suggestions about O.S. I can install?

Reaction score
The complete specs of the machine:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.33-15-specs.html

I am using the Mac Os Tiger (the same that came with the machine) in dual boot with Windows XP (boot camp).

I have had a lot of problems using Windows XP (yes, it has not support anymore).

So, I decided to install Windows 7 in my machine.
After I had searched in google I could see it was not possible to install Win 7 using Tiger. I had to upgrade to Snow Leopard ($19.99) or Lion.

-
'This model shipped with Mac OS X 10.4.8 Tiger and supports OS X 10.7 Lion, but not 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.

Macintel models are the only Macs that can boot OS X from a USB hard drive. That should make a lot of Mac users happy, although it may be the beginning of the end for external drives with dual FireWire 400/USB 2.0 support.

Requires Mac OS X 10.4.8 to 10.7 Lion, not compatible with 10.8 Mountain Lion
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility
Grand Central Dispatch is supported.
64-bit operation is supported.
OpenCL is not supported with the Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU
.'
-

After this search (and some others) I am thinking about to:

1. Remove Mac Os Tiger, format and Install only WINDOWS 7 in this machine (yes, I read it is possible in internet). I can get the drives in the Apple website.

2. Install Lion and Windows 7 (with boot camp). Inside Windows 7 I can install VMWare + linux (maybe Ubuntu).
So, I could had 3 O.S. in this machine.

3. Install Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (using boot camp).

4. Maybe install Mountain Lion (if I upgrade the RAM).

In your bigger experience, what do you suggest?

No, I do not have interest to use Mac Os. My main interest is to use WINDOWS 7. But as I can not use this Mac Book Pro to anything I am trying to make it to work. I will allow my son to use it to play games or learn something usefull.

If it was possible to install Win 7 using Mac Os Tiger it would be great.

I can not access websites using Tiger. It is horrible. Opera, Firefox, Safari.. do not work with Gmail, etc. ('your browser has an old version and it is not supported'). If I try to upgrade, it does not install new versions of brownsers.

Yes, I can try to upgrade RAM if necessary.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That model is a MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo). Unfortunately, the maximum OS is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, which will limit the versions and ease of install of Windows.

The only official direction would be to acquire a copy of Lion and then install Windows 7 via Boot Camp or a VM like Parallels/Fusion. I have no experience with, nor do I recommend installing Windows 7 only.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory!
I am thinking in to use the 'easy way', really.

I do not know if it is possible to install Lion alone or I do need to install (as I have Tiger at this moment): Snow Leopard > Lion.

I do not mind to lose data. I have a BACKUP.

I will try to install LION direct. Let's see what will happen.

Tks!

Ask a Question