New and getting spam.

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to the forum and what to ask about getting spam. I've set up ''rules'' but the three e-mails that I know are spam, keep getting through.

I open rules, name rules as spam, put the three e-mails in then go down to delete, then press done. How are these spam still getting through to my trash folder. Can I do more? Help please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to completely rid your account(s) of SPAM. You can setup Rules in Apple Mail, which will help to some extent. I currently have several Rules setup, which filter 50+ domains and keywords. I also use SpamSieve, which has it's own set of Rules. I still get over 100 SPAM emails a day on average. Of course, they are filtered out of my inbox to SpamSieve's mailboxes, so I can still review and delete them.

Here are two URLs to read through that may help out:
-Apple - Use rules to manage your inbox
-SpamSieve

There are also paid online services that you can grant access to your inbox, which will filter/delete SPAM before it gets to your Mac. But, they can be slightly expensive, and I personally don't like granting access to my email to third-parties, as they analyze all email good and bad.

SPAM is unfortunately here to stay, and they are getting better and better at circumventing any preventative measures that the general public puts in place.

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Reaction score
As usual, Cory states the actual situation. Myself, I have 4 EMail accounts: 2 with Comcast/Xfinity (my ISP), one with gmail, and one with hotmail. For the Xfinity accounts, I use Outlook 2016 to obtain my EMail, and I access my gmail and hotmail accounts through my browser (I can also access my Xfinity accounts through my browser, but no need to). Most of the spam I get is on my gmail and hotmail accounts (but WAY less on hotmail than on gmail). For my Xfinity accounts, I am careful as to "who" I expose those accounts to, and thus that is one of the main reasons why I receive so little spam EMails with those accounts.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to the forum and what to ask about getting spam. I've set up ''rules'' but the three e-mails that I know are spam, keep getting through.

I open rules, name rules as spam, put the three e-mails in then go down to delete, then press done. How are these spam still getting through to my trash folder. Can I do more? Help please?

Can I ask is this account the one your ISP gives you? I ask because my ISP's server is pretty good at catching spam so if it is it may be worth the call to discuss this with them, it may be that you won't have to pay any money for the service.

For me it's the Outlook account that attracts spam but I'm fortunate I don't really see anywhere as much as Cory.

Reaction score
To be honest I don't know?
But could I ask about "rules'' please? If you have more than one spam, do you just add it to the first rule, or do you have to do another rule. Hope that makes sense to you guys?
Thanks for the help. Dicky.

Reaction score
I think the ISP is Virgin Media? Would that be right? But my e-mail is gmail. Confused I am!!

Reaction score
It looks like you are located somewhere in the UK, based on this link for Virgin Media:

http://www.virginmedia.com/

When I entered Richmond, UK (that is where our oldest son lives) to find locations of Virgin Media stores, at least 4 appeared close by.

In any event, Virgin Media would be your ISP (assuming you have a Virgin Media EMail address; my ISP is Comcast, and my Comcast EMail address is (e-mail address removed)). But the process of how you receive EMails has a few variations:

1. You can choose to receive your EMails via your Virgin Media EMail address. And you can "link" EMails received on your other "accounts" (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.) to that address (actually, to the EMail program you are using). In that case, when you launch your EMail program, you would see all EMails sent to any of those accounts that you set up.

2. You can instead choose to just receive EMails to your Virgin Media EMail address, via your EMail program. For gmail, hotmai, yahoo, etc., you can access those EMails through your browser.

I myself use option #2. My ISP is Comcast, and I choose to receive EMails, through my ISP and with my EMail program Outlook 2016, for ONLY those EMails addressed to my Comcast EMail address. For my gmail and hotmail accounts, I access those sites/EMails through my browser, Google Chrome. I prefer to do it that way because 1) my Comcast EMail address is the one I use for "official" correspondence, exchanging EMails with friends, etc., and 2) the gmail and hotmail accounts are used for non-important purposes. Also, this cuts down on the spam I receive via my Comcast EMail address. (I actually can also access my Comcast EMail via their site, but I much prefer to do it via Outlook 2016).

What exact steps do you go through to receive your EMail? Do you launch an EMail program (like Outlook 2016, Apple's Mail Program, Thunderbird. etc.), or do you go to a site via your browser (like I do for my gmail and hotmail "accounts")?

Last edited:

Ask a Question