Problems getting hard drive to run again after a crash

Reaction score
I have a 2012 macbook pro who's hard drive crashed randomly. Most of the important files on the computer were backed up so I could care less about file restoration. I just would like to erase the disk and reinstall MacOS Sierra so I can use the laptop again. (if possible through this method) I made a bootable flashdrive with Sierra on it but cant figure out how to reinstall the software. I'm assuming I would need to erase the pre-existing disk to do this but have not been able to so far.

I appreciate any help, as I am pretty new to this. I just prefer learning how to fix my own devices than going to an apple store, this one has been puzzling me for days. Thanks!

Reaction score
OK< first, do you have your stuff backed up to an external drive? If you do, what software did you use for that?

Secondly, when you boot your Mac via the flash drive, does it "see" the external drive? That would be good if it does. Your answer to that question will determine how you would proceed.

Reaction score
I have files backed up on the cloud and numerous flash drives, unfortunately I never set up time machine (I definitely will next time).

Also yes it does see the flash drive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How did you make the bootable Sierra flash drive?
-What capacity is the flash drive?
-Do you have access to another Mac? If so, you could recreate the Sierra installer on the flash drive using an app like DiskMaker X.

C

Ask a Question