Getting read of google updates

Reaction score
I keep getting notices of Google Updates. I do not want the updates, I do to even like Google
They ask if I want the update. And even if I say no, before you can finish they say it is upgraded. I try saying later. not now etc
They ignore it. I try to get rid of the apps and of The Google Chrome, which I do not want. Follow different instructions but nothing seems to work. It angers me that Google does not care about your wants and ignore your wishes. HELP

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you trying to completely delete the Google Chrome browser? If so, drag it to the trash from the Applications folder.
-Or, are you getting all of the SPAM emails that everyone is getting recently?

C

Reaction score
A couple of things you can try:

1. As Cory suggested, one of the things you can do is drag the Google Chrome Browser application to the trash. However, that will not completely get rid of everything on your system associated with the application. So, a better way would be to first download and install the excellent freeware program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It works like a charm, and will find most of the files associated with Google Chrome.

2. For the remainder of the files not found, do a Search of your internal drive for "Google Chrome" and/or "Chrome" (or similar search terms. You can use Spotlight, but I much prefer another excellent free program called EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

Note that you can either download it from that site (faster than the App Store), or from the App Store.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Are you trying to completely delete the Google Chrome browser? If so, drag it to the trash from the Applications folder.
-Or, are you getting all of the SPAM emails that everyone is getting recently?

C

Reaction score
I have OS High Sierra l0-13.4.
II want to do away with all of the Google frequent pop ups telling me they have an update. They do not give a chance to respond
and let then know if I want it or not. Automatically say that is has been update. Even in the cases when I have responded No
they update it anyway. I do not like Google. I do not use it as my search engine and try not to use for directions although it
automatically pops up in certain websites when you ask for directions.
I had downloaded Chrome when it first came, but after reading about it, I did not like it and did not use it but never erase from
the applications list.
If I get read of the App completely and put it in the trash. Will it interfere with anything in my computer? I do not thing that is
going to stop the updates. I do not know were they are coming from.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, if you delete it, it will not affect the rest of your Mac, as it is a third-party app that was manually installed.

You are probably seeing notifications in the upper right corner of the screen telling you there are updates, correct?

Try deleting it and see if the popups stop.

C

Reaction score

1. As Cory suggested, one of the things you can do is drag the Google Chrome Browser application to the trash. However, that will not completely get rid of everything on your system associated with the application. So, a better way would be to first download and install the excellent freeware program AppCleaner, available from here:

It works like a charm, and will find most of the files associated with Google Chrome.

2. For the remainder of the files not found, do a Search of your internal drive for "Google Chrome" and/or "Chrome" (or similar search terms. You can use Spotlight, but I much prefer another excellent free program called EasyFind, available from here:

Note that you can either download it from that site (faster than the App Store), or from the App Store.

Reaction score

Reaction score
I tried to find the Easy Find in the apple store but could not find it. I downloaded the AppManager instead. Don't
know what the difference is.
I tried to download the Apple Cleaner from the site you gave me but my Mac give me a warning saying that is not
safe to open. So I am not sure that I want to take the chance. Did you get that warning also?
Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions I will be happy to hear from you.

Reaction score
No, if you delete it, it will not affect the rest of your Mac, as it is a third-party app that was manually installed.

You are probably seeing notifications in the upper right corner of the screen telling you there are updates, correct?

Try deleting it and see if the popups stop.

C

Reaction score
I tried to find the Easy Find in the apple store but could not find it. I downloaded the AppManager instead. Don't
know what the difference is.
I tried to download the Apple Cleaner from the site you gave me but my Mac give me a warning saying that is not
safe to open. So I am not sure that I want to take the chance. Did you get that warning also?
Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions I will be happy to hear from you.

For EasyFind, why did you not try and download it from their site, instead of the App Store? Also, all you needed to do was to click on the AppStore "link" all the way to the right for EasyFind.

For AppCleaner, I did not get any kind of warning message when I downloaded AppCleaner. By the way, are you located in Europe? That could explain why you are message about AppCleaner. I actually just re-downloaded it, and it went smoothly.

Ask a Question