Need to free up space on my internal drive - How do I do it?

Reaction score
My internal drive available space just dropped from 13GB to 4GB in a day. I haven't added anywhere near 9GB of data. Where did my free space go? How do I find and delete whatever is taking up all that space?

Reaction score
How big is your internal drive? the simple answer is you have to delete stuff.

Download and run GrandPerspective to see what's on your hard drive. The bigger the square, the larger the file.

Reaction score
My internal drive available space just dropped from 13GB to 4GB in a day. I haven't added anywhere near 9GB of data. Where did my free space go? How do I find and delete whatever is taking up all that space?
It can be due to RAM cacheing. As you run low on RAM the system needs to write some of that information to your drive in order to free up memory. It happens a lot on Macs that don’t have enough RAM and then running multiple apps at once.

Try running Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder). Click on the Memory tab and look at the table on the bottom. If the Memory Pressure graph is showing anything other than green, then you are starting to run low on memory. Time to quit apps you don’t immediately need.

Ask a Question