Need "Automator-like" Process For Freeing Up Memory

Reaction score
I am not 100% certain if this is the correct forum for my inquiry, as it is also "somewhat" Mac OS related. But, I'll post my issue here.

I have two Macs: a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. I am using OS 10.12.6 on both machines, and both of them have 4 gig of RAM. Additionally, the MIni has a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and the MacBook Air has a 251 Gig Samsung SSD (believe it is the EVO "variety"). For both of them, I am only using about 35% or so of the space on each SSD. Also, as most folks know, I am a "stickler" about keeping my Macs "lean, mean, and clean". Finally, I rarely run more than one application at a time. About the only instance is when I am using my browser (Google Chrome), and I want to check/re-check my EMail (use Outlook 2016 for that). Even with that, I quit Outlook after checking/re-checking my EMail.

For both machines, when I start them up (I do not have any Startup items that I designated myself), the amount of free RAM left varies somewhat, more so on the Mac Mini. Typically, on the MIni, that amount is between 2.2 gig and 2.5 gig. For the Air, it is just about consistently 2.3 gig. After launching an application, it of course consumes some memory (some more so than others). But when I quit such an app, the entire amount of used memory is not "given back", so to speak. Also, when I launch Google Chrome, the site yahoo.com definitely consumes a lot of memory (probably due to all the graphics there), but when I leave the site, again not all the memory used by that site is returned.

On my Mac Mini, I have booth the programs FreeRAMBooster and Memory Clean 2, and on the Air just have FreeRAMBooster. I can launch them to free up memory that is either wasted (like when I start up), or not given back, but what would be ideal is to have some sort of "script" that can launch such a program at "designated" times (for example, after start up, and prior to me launching my first app (most of the time it's Outlook 2016), or when I "leave" yahoo.com (via Google Chrome).

Finally, I know I can upgrade the RAM in my Mac Mini (that option is not available for my MacBook Air), but for most of my activities, 4 gig of RAM is enough.

I would appreciate any advice/assistance, etc.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
honestone,

Part of the issue is the shared graphics memory from the system's main memory RAM, as neither of those Macs have discrete graphics with dedicated VRAM. The mini uses up to 1GB and the Air uses up to 1.5GB of the system RAM for graphics processing.

Another possible cause is that applications, especially third-party apps, interact with system memory differently. Website content can definitely eat up various amounts of memory, and not all is released when the page is closed. Some of that can be due to Flash, video, CSS, and other web elements.

As you probably guessed, I am not a fan of third-party apps like FreeRAM Booster 2 and Memory Clean 2. ;) You could run into additional issues if you run them simultaneously.

I have never really monitored system memory, unless I was having a specific issue. It'll drive you bonkers if you try to recover every bit of "free" memory.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed, and educational, explanation, Cory. I actually would not run both of them, just Memory Clean 2.

I just wish there was a way of preventing some Apple apps (or files associated with them) I do not use from loading on startup. And yes, I realize some apps are not that "great" in terms of returning all the memory it has used.

And I of course realize that trying to recover every mb of free memory (whether consumed on startup for stuff I do not use at all, or with some apps not being very cooperative) is not very feasible.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Most of the System processes cannot be prevented from loading at startup. You can control Login Items, which may have associated startup processes. In addition, there is some third-party software that installs LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons plists that load at startup, which may call kexts and other System processes. Most of those cannot be disabled either. Some of the software on this Mac that has those:

1Password
GlobalProtect - Palo Alto
Google Updater
SpamSieve
TechTool Pro
VOX

Carbon Copy Cloner
PACE Anti-Piracy
Pacifist
TG Pro
WhatSize?
X-Rite i1Profiler

You can prevent some Apple items from loading at startup, like iTunes Helper (it enables launching of iTunes/Photos when an iOS device is connected), but most are required by the System.

Yeah, it's not feasible. My OCD kicks in sometimes and I have tried! ;)

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory.

I just wish there was a way to completely eliminate Apple apps I do not want nor use, as they take up space, and I suspect use some memory (probably System Memory).

From your lis, I have 1Password and TechTool Pro, and I was already aware of them having LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons plists. But those I absolutely need. Interesting that Carbon Copy Cloner is on that list, but SuperDuper! is not.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You're most welcome.

If you have any others you want me to look into, just ask.

C

Ask a Question