Need Help...

Reaction score
Haven't been here in a looong time. I need some help. Got an iMac27 - 2015. Been OK until 2 days ago. Now the boot bar runs about 90% and freezes. I've tried most of the key combos to force a boot, or for that matter anything. I can't get any response out of it. Just now after about 45 min stuck, it told me 'your computer has a problem - press any key...' It's back ion the boot bar. If it is the drive, no problem, I will replace it. I have 2 500G laptop drives that were supposed to be backups, but I can't seem to get to them. Am I right in assuming it's a drive failure or ???

TIA for any suggestions
Ski

Reaction score
Haven't been here in a looong time. I need some help. Got an iMac27 - 2015. Been OK until 2 days ago. Now the boot bar runs about 90% and freezes. I've tried most of the key combos to force a boot, or for that matter anything. I can't get any response out of it. Just now after about 45 min stuck, it told me 'your computer has a problem - press any key...' It's back ion the boot bar. If it is the drive, no problem, I will replace it. I have 2 500G laptop drives that were supposed to be backups, but I can't seem to get to them. Am I right in assuming it's a drive failure or ???

TIA for any suggestions
Ski
From your description, that’s an iMac17,1. What version of macOS are you running? Your model should be upgradeable to macOS 12 Monterey. First thing to try is to restart in Safe Mode. For that model, as long as you have a working keyboard attached, just reboot and hold down the Shift key until you got to the login screen. See if that gets you through the startup, even if things might seem slow—normal for Safe Boot.

If that works, next thing to try is to reinstall your macOS. If you are connected to the internet, you can boot into Recovery. Shut down and restart, immediately holding down ⌘-R until you get into the Recovery screen. You can run Disk Utility and/or proceed with reinstalling macOS. I suspect Recovery will offer to install Monterey for you. Do you have a Time Machine backup? That will help if you have to reinstall your data back into the system.

Reaction score
Thanx for the response. The OS is the latest available, can't remember, I upgraded every time it offered. I have tried all recommended key presses - command-r, option-command-r, shift-command-option-r. Tried the disk utility, safe mode, 2 keyboards - the original, and an aftermarket... All I get is the Apple logo and the boot bar that after 18 - 20 min of freeze at ~90% comes back and says your machine has a problem, press any key which just starts the failure sequence again. I have Time Machine backups, as I said I can't get to them. I'm not at a great loss, I have 4 Winbloz based machines 2 desktops and 2 laps in my toy room. The mac just needs to be fixed. I will find or order a repair kit with the stickies tomorrow and try maybe another drive...

Ask a Question