Int and Ext NVMe need help with disk access issue

Nad

Reaction score
I’ve a STUDio Mac 64GB memory 1TB internal SSD. I assembled a external drive with an Acasis 40GB encloser and a 2TB WD Black 850 stick (fyi i bought a new set today 7/20/23 the enclosure from acasis .com website and the wb nvme from newegg, each with significant discounts)
The external drive performs wonderfully.
Then, with some difficulty and sheer luck, I got the STUDio booting from the external nvme.
Now I have a problem I cannot find an answer for.
I cannot copy a file to the internal (original) drive. When I try to drag a file onto the HD’s icon a mini “NO” icon appears and nothing happens. Also, I cannot rename it. I can access the files on it just fine and copy those to other drives.
So I thought it’s obviously a perm problem. So I did a chmod 755 on it from terminal. It had no effect. The info window says I have read and write.
When I try to search the results all come back as solutions to copying files to an external drive not working. I looked that over too, but it’s not helpful
Does anyone have any ideas, or run into and fixed this issue before?

Reaction score
The Internal drive in your which has the original OS on it has certain permissions set that you cannot change.
You cannot add any folders to the root level of the drive.

What I have done in a situation like this is to place a folder in the /Users/Shared folder. And then place an alias to that folder on your desktop.

You will be able to read and write to the Shared folder or any folder you place in there without having any permission issues.

I hope that this helps you understand what you are experiencing, and how to work around the solution.

I highly recommend that you do not reformat the internal drive on your Studio to allow full use of the drive. Just use the work around as stated above.

Reaction score
I’ve a STUDio Mac 64GB memory 1TB internal SSD. I assembled a external drive with an Acasis 40GB encloser and a 2TB WD Black 850 stick (fyi i bought a new set today 7/20/23 the enclosure from acasis .com website and the wb nvme from newegg, each with significant discounts)
The external drive performs wonderfully.
Then, with some difficulty and sheer luck, I got the STUDio booting from the external nvme.
Now I have a problem I cannot find an answer for.
I cannot copy a file to the internal (original) drive. When I try to drag a file onto the HD’s icon a mini “NO” icon appears and nothing happens. Also, I cannot rename it. I can access the files on it just fine and copy those to other drives.
So I thought it’s obviously a perm problem. So I did a chmod 755 on it from terminal. It had no effect. The info window says I have read and write.
When I try to search the results all come back as solutions to copying files to an external drive not working. I looked that over too, but it’s not helpful
Does anyone have any ideas, or run into and fixed this issue before?
I’m not clear on how you had a hard time booting from the external drive. I’m assuming you are running Ventura and have the Acasis enclosure connected by Thunderbolt. I have two Acasis externals (the tool-free model) containing a 4-TB WD SN850X NVMe and the second with a 2-TB Samsung 990 PRO NVMe, soon to be replaced by a second 4-TB SN850X (arriving tomorrow, yay!). I have Monterey, second Ventura (beta version), and Sonoma installed on individual volumes on the external WD. I’ve been using the Samsung to Carbon Copy Clone all my macOS data partitions to it, including the internal Macintosh HD. That’s the reason for bumping it up to 4 Terabytes. I even considered getting the SABRENT 8TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe but haven’t had any experience with Sabrent. Maybe WD will come out with their own 8-TB NVMe eventually.

Anyway, I noticed that security had been much tighter with macOS lately. To boot from an external macOS volume, I gave up on rebooting and holding down the power button to wait for the list of startup drives. Instead, try setting the startup drive from System Settings. Whenever I do that, macOS will ask to authenticate the user(s) on the target drive. You will need to enter the login password(s). Then, before proceeding with the restart, it will ask again for the password of the account performing the restart. From there, it should work properly. Mind you, all of my macOS volumes have File Vault turned on.

Sonoma is very promising, by the way. A great deal snappier compared to Ventura, especially considering the fact that the internal Apple SSD is about twice as speedy as the external NVMe; and I have yet to report a bug in it to Apple. Well, I did find one, but too trivial to bother reporting it… yet. By the way, if your external NVMe enclosure gets hot, just place it on top of the Studio. A very expensive heatsink indeed, but very effective.

IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question