G4 Silver freezes and needs several attempts to reboot

Reaction score
Silver G4 Locking Up and Needs Multiple Tries To Reboot
I am using G4 Hardware Test Disc Verson 1.2.5
Long post I tried to be methodical, technical and give pertinent information. Please read all the way through before offering suggestions. This has several layers. I really want to know what all of these codes mean,especially the logic board designations.

This machine locks/freezes repeatedly usually in Safari while performing graphic/video operation. Mapquest, You Tube and TextTwist. Often, if there is sound on the video it will repeat the last played sound until you shut down. Rebooting takes at least 2 or more tries. I get either black screens or the grey screen Apple Logo with a black line of varying thickneses above it. After multiple tries it will reboot. Sometimes it boots into textedit and locks up. The last one on the 10.3.9 drive read
USB set up error
5c 000000 40002 or 80002(multiple alternations of these numbers) Default catch Code+fffffff6 at (symbol)SR00: ff 87450 (symbol) SR1 0000b030 at this point it locked up and couldn't type mac-boot. This morning I switched Startup disks and got a different text edit error. (See below)

This machine has 2 HD's one is new Seagate with a fresh install of X10.4.10. The other is Maxtor X10.3.9. The problem happens with either HD. Rules out software I think.

I swapped out Radeon Video Cards from another working Silver G4.

I removed all USB and Fire Wire devices including an Adaptec USB/FW PCI Card. (this was a response to the USB Set Up Error message in text edit)

I switched out the keyboard and mouse.

I've looked at the various crash logs but having no Sanskrit, I can't interpret the data.

This morning I ran Hardware Test (after getting multiple freezes/lockups on both HD's.)

The Extended Test stopped at Error Code _scc/3/7 and the list said Test Stopped Logic Board Error. (error code meaning?)
I ran the test a second time with same error code. The 3rd-5th time it was _sc/1/5 (what do shifting error codes point to?)

The time stamp at the top is 7:39 am which is an hour behind the set clock time. (the other tests had different time codes but always an hour behind set clock time)

I next attempted to run Quick Test. It failed to start. It dumped to Text Edit The screen to the left of the Test Window had the following Info:
USB Set up error There was a long list of codes alternating between
5c 000000 80000 and 80002
1 2 3 failed to respond
Apple PowerMac3,5 4.2.3 f1Boot Rom Built 81/02 at 11:14:12
Welcome to open FirmWare. The system time date is 7:24:01 8/26/07 (date and time are 1 hr ahead)
To continue type mac-boot. I did. The following error code appeared
Default catch Code=300 at (symbol) SRR0: 05106dc (symbol) SRR1: 00003030
This differs from what I saw on the Maxtor 10.3.9 I listed above.

I ran the Hardware Test disk several times later in the day. Same Logic Board Error Detected message appeared in the test list.
Recieved the same errorcode _scc/3/7 using extended test.
I ran quick test and got the Error code _scc/1/5 post/16/14 This happened consistently over 10 test cycles

Console Logs have a common thread; Syndication Agent 207 Warning Best Calendar date From String- Can't Interpret
'800

The default console log always reads -0400 when it fails to boot. The successful boot reads SystemUI Server162 lang is:en

Now after all of this information do I really have a bad MB? What do the Hardware Test error codes mean? Are the Text Edit errors part of the same problem or are they symptomatic of yet another problem? Is the Hardware Test reliable? Could the OWC 1.47 processor be the problem,( I saw a similar post on the apple discussions and that person's problem was solved when OWC sent out a new 1.47 processor)? I have copies of console logs if anyone is interested.

I have had Macs since the SE, kept a 7500 running for 9 years. I'm the go to guy in our Subdivison for the IT guys on Macs(Microsoft trained Dell robots) but this one has thrown me a bit of a curve. If it is a MB then this an absolute first for me never had a Hardware problem. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to slog through the information and offer advise. And please interpret the codes. I've googled them and get nothing. It maks me crazy. Thanks.

Silver G4 Mac OS X (10.4.10) OWC 1.47, OEM Flat Screen,1gig ram

Ask a Question