Need Advice Regarding Corrupted Video Files

Reaction score
Thanks to anyone who can help with this puzzling problem.

A failed backup has left a bunch of video files in a corrupted state. When you try to open the video file Finder says "this is not a movie file". The files can't be opened in any video editing software that I have. It's random, some of the files on that disk have the problem, some do not.

Here's the weird part that has me confused. The very same problem files open just fine on two other disks. They only fail to open on one disk.

So naturally I thought I would just erase the problem files, and replace them with copies which are working fine on another disk. That doesn't solve the problem.

I've tried running First Aid on the problem disk, and that doesn't fix it. First Aid reports no errors.

I would just wipe the problem disk clean and start over, but the failed backup has left both my main disks in a somewhat perilous state, so I'm wary of doing any mass deletions at the moment.

I'm in the process of buying new disks. Though because I'm still on Firewire they will be "new" used disks.

I'm stuck on this one. If anyone has any better insights here, thanks for sharing.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like the drive with the issue has bad sectors or is starting to fail. Disk Utility doesn't scan for bad sectors and normally won't report any.

C

Reaction score
Thank you. I managed to wipe all the affected drives clean and start over again. So far this seems to have solved the problem.

Ask a Question