Advice needed on which new Mac to buy

Reaction score
hello Forum members, would be real grateful for advice on which iMac to buy.

Currently running an old G5 with USB connected keyboard, and Apple widescreen matte monitor circa 2001. Wildly out of date, but suits me as I have visual and mobility disabilities. The matte monitor is good for people with disturbances in their vision, and I type more accurately on a keyboard with raised keys and some resistance, as I don’t have full control of my fingers.

But I’ll have to replace it soon, already Safari doesn’t work. So, I’m considering the 2021 iMac, as it seems the screen is less reflective than on previous models. But the input options seem very limited, so I might not be able to use a USB keyboard. I also want to use an old video camera which connects with firewire.

Can anyone advise? Is the 2021 monitor really less reflective than before? Would it be possible to use a keyboard with raised keys? Is there a simple way to make sure I can continue to work with video via firewire?

It seems like the only difference between the three different price bands on the 2021 model is the number of input sockets, so is that worth the price difference?

Have also considered the 2020 models, which are still available, with more input options. But I believe the monitor screen may be more reflective? And the cost is comparable to the 2021 models, so would they be less good value?

all help appreciated!

GPS

Reaction score
From your description, I'd think a 27-inch iMac (2020 Intel model) would be the way to go, for several reasons.

First, monitors have improved quite a bit over the past 20 years. For the matte effect, Apple offers a "Nano texture glass" option. Yes, it's a few hundred bucks extra, but if you keep your equipment for a long time, this might do it for you.

To continue to use a full-size USB connected keyboard (as I do), the 2020 iMac offers USB-A ports. If you opt for an M1 model, you can buy connector cables or a USB hub to connect the keyboard.

For your old camera, you can connect the same way, but the built-in cameras (and speakers) in the newer models are much better.

The hitch in all of this may be price. The mid-line 3.3Ghz 27-inch models were recently on sale at Costco with a $250 rebate (nominal price: $1995). I'd watch for Black Friday or Boxing Day sales.

Finally, to check the reflectivity of the new screens, definitely visit an Apple store.

Reaction score
I think GPS has hit the nail on the head of the right choice. I add my thoughts too: yes, get the 27” iMac as you certainly can use the USB-A ports as you wish AND you can add RAM - which the small iMacs do not allow. I purchased 2019 model in 2020 as the latest iMacs also do not allow RAM upgrades either. Final thought is that these newer iMacs will come with a recent OS (mine has Big Sur) which will probably mean your legacy software will need replacing. Good luck!

Reaction score
I like the video quality of my M1 iMac's camera. I also don't miss my old 27" iMac's larger screen. I have the 8-core model with two USB-C ports and two Thunderbolt ports, but wish I had bought a powered Thunderbolt docking station. This morning I plugged my iPad directly into my iMac and got "USB ACCESSORIES DISABLED. Unplug the accessor using too much power to re-enable USB devices.".

Reaction score
Thank! I’m definitely coming round to the view that the 27in intel is right for me. I read reviews by people who work in creative industries, like me, and they generally favoured the 2020 model. It seems to offer much more flexibility, and reviews of the 2021 M1 model suggest you can end up with lots of adaptors sticking out the back of the machine. To be honest , I doubt I’m going to find a truly matte monitor, so it’s just about minimising glare. I’m in the UK, where sadly iMacs cost the same in GBP as you pay in dollars! But there’s a good price on the 3.3GHZ at the moment, cheaper than the lower spec model, so that’s appealin.

Reaction score
One philosophical difference is whether you want the most mature older generation machine or the least mature next generation machine. Which will be compatible the longest?

Reaction score
My previous machine was a G5 from 2013, still running, only letting it go now because no longer able to update Safari. My preference is probably for older generation, though I realise compatibility may not be as long. On the other hand, friends who have bought new models as soon as available often seem to report teething problems.

Reaction score
My previous machine is a late 2013 27" iMac. It won't run Big Sur and there are little incompatibilities such as having the older Thunderbolt port, or not being able to AirPlay. I waited for the M1 before replacing it, as that is a bigger change than Thunderbolt ports.

Reaction score
AND you can add RAM - which the small iMacs do not allow. I purchased 2019 model in 2020 as the latest iMacs also do not allow RAM upgrades either.

Where does one buy an earlier year iMac as I definitely want the design that allows me to upgrade the ram. Can you still buy them new or are you stuck with the refurbished market. Thanks!

Reaction score
I did upgrade my RAM on my 27" iMac, but really didn't notice the result. I assume the 27" iMacs being sold today still have user-upgradeable RAM, but I'd ask the Apple salesman to be sure. I expect Apple will continue to sell the 27" iMac until next year when its biggger Apple silicon iMac pro comes out. But it appears that Apple isn't concerned with memory on its Apple silicon chips. (I may have wasted money by buying 16GB unified memory on my M1 iMac).

Last edited:

Ask a Question