Apple imac 2008 advice

Reaction score
Hi

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. Im not mac experienced and am looking for some advice for my Daughter.

As I a single Mum on little income she wanted an imsc so I had to get her a refurbished one which is 2008.

She loves to edit and stupid Mum didnt think of the version she would need to add on her favourite editing programme.

I feel so bad and as though I have got her a load of rubbish that she cant use.

Does anyone know if I can have the mac upgraded inside or what editing app she can use on this one without me paying loads.

Her favourites are Kinemaster and Videostar.

Please help. Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can upgrade internally other than RAM memory and the hard drive. The 2008 iMac's have a limit of Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, which will limit the video editing software choices you have.

It seems that both KineMaster and Video Star are iOS/Android apps, which are used on iPhones/iPads or Android-based mobile devices, and aren't available for Macs. You should have gotten a copy of iMovie with the iMac, which is Apple's video editing application.

I am not aware of any other video applications for the Mac that would work for you, as I haven't dome much video editing personally. Maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions for other low/no cost applications for video editing that would be compatible.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
I have just acquired an early 2008 iMac, 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM running El Capitan. It runs iMovie no problem. From a little research The only upgrades are possibly to go up to 6gb RAM and change the hard drive for an SSD.
I will have a look around to see if there is any other compatible software.

Reaction score
I have a very reliable 2008 iMac which I have upgraded to the maximum 6GB DDR2 SDRAM and a 960 GB SSD, running Yosemite, 10.10.5 and although I have run El Capitan on this machine, other software i am using is not cpmpatible with El Capitan, so I've stayed with Yosemite. The only video editing software i know of currently compatibe with Yosemite is Apple's iMovie. Most other apps I've looked at appear to required minimum of OSX 10.13

Ask a Question