SOLVED Advice on buying a Mac tower

Reaction score
https://www.storexppen.co.uk/buy/artist24pro.html
Hi,
I’m about to buy one of these tablets (attached) while they are on offer, but need to buy a mac to run it through as my iMac is too old to support the tablet.
I want to stick with Mac, but think it will have to be re-conditioned rather than new, for price.
Is a Mac tower a good idea...I’ve been told that the 2012 is the best version but I have no idea. I’m a professional illustrator so will be working on it all day everyday.
Any advice would be gratefully received, as you can probably tell, I’m pretty clueless as far as tech goes.
Many many thanks
Mikki

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with that device, but it looks quite interesting.

-Which model is your old iMac?
-Do you have a specific budget for the Mac purchase?

Because it natively supports USB-C and HDMI connection, it may be best to buy a newer Mac that has USB-C and HDMI, to avoid having to use adapters.

C

Reaction score
Hi there and thank you for looking into this for me.
My current iMac is an old 2007, which has served me well but wont support photoshop cc, which I have to get to use the XP pen tablet.
I can’t really spend any more than £1000 on the Mac. Would I have to buy brand new to get the required connectors? I’m so clueless.
Many thanks
Mikki

Reaction score
Hi again,
I‘ve just been looking at the new Mac mini which as 2 models... the larger spec one is just in my budget, do you think that would do?
Thanks again
Mikki

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Macs have had USB-C and HDMI connections for several years. You could buy refurbished/used instead of new. Just remember that Apple supports older models for 5-7 years, so a more recent model is better.

The current Mac mini is a nice unit for sure. All current/recent Macs will handle most 2D design effortlessly. The processor speed isn't as crucial as RAM and storage space.

Here's a nice Macworld article that may help: Best Mac for designers 2020

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Good luck, and feel free to let us know which way you go.

Stay healthy and safe,

C

Ask a Question