Wanting an Apple “computer” - help and advice please. What to buy ?

Reaction score
Hi

This will sound silly question and possibly a bit rambling but I’ll ask

I am heavily invested in the Apple infrastructure. Have iPhone XR, an Apple Watch, a 2018 Apple pro (soon to be “upgraded” to a 2020 as my dad wants an iPad so I will pass him on mine) even air pods.

i know they are expensive and I know some see as a label, but for me, I’ve just always been impressed by the fact they do what I want how I want.

Anyway (see said be rambling) I have an old windows pc (has to be 10 years old) which has had a few upgrades, but basically is a 10 year old i5 with an Nvidia GTX 7700. I don’t game on it but like the desktop experience for web browsing and photo viewing etc. As well as using it for word / excel

I don’t do any video work and probably to be fair, if not for the wanting to get into the world of macOS could easily get along with my current pc for what

I’d ideally like a Mac Ideally something with the latest macOS
Now I did get a second hand Mac Pro but it will not run the latest macOS even with the dosdude patch as the graphics card is not supported. I know I could upgrade but think would always be chasing something and whilst I have access to the funds it’s likely better to just get something new.

So I need to know what to buy

I have the budget for an iMac (budget of around £2500, if I needed to, but I want “value for money”) but I’m just not convinced I would ever get close to scratching the surface of what it would do and what with already having a nice 28” 4K monitor and a quality mouse and keyboard again I’m not sure if that warrants the money. Yes the look sexy as heck and very desirable but I’m just not sure I’d get the use out of it for the money (I’d want the 27” version)

I looked an a Mac book or Mac book air, but with the iPad that seems a little wasted and I really want the “desktopexperience

so I guess that really leaves me with the Mac mini ?

Are they any good ?
I already have a 4K monitor, a mouse and keyboard. Would a Mac mini be worth the outlay ?

is the i7 mac mini a good buy ?

does it come up short in anyway ?

any other suggestions ?

cheers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, the Mac mini is an amazing little Mac. I have had 4 of them over the years, including a 2009 Server model that ran my small web hosting company. Since you already have a 4K display, and really only have basic needs, the Mac mini will fit your usage perfectly.

Actually, any of the current Mac mini models will suffice. Of course, the more expensive processor choices are better, but for basic real-world usage like web browsing, office applications, basic photo/video projects, you really won't notice a tangible speed difference. If you did more involved video creation, gaming, 3D modeling, etc., that's where the i7 will shine.

The RAM isn't technically user-upgradeable, is a slightly involved process, and isn't recommended for those without experience or during the AppleCare coverage period. The SSD flash storage is not upgradeable at all, as it is soldered to the logic board.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Cheers.
If I take apart my current desktop I would have 2 x 128gb ssd drives, 1 x 512gb ssd drive and a 2tb hybrid drive. I assume these can be partitioned and installed in caddy’s and used connected via usb 3.0 ?

I think minimum I’d go for would be the base i5 model.
what’s the boot time’s like on this and do the perform well as an everyday desktop ?

pretty much all my needs can be met by my iPad, but I guess I’m just a traditionalist and like being able to sit down for an hour and browse the web with mouse and keyboard, whilst listening to radio and viewing photos etc.

I guess I just want to try and harmonise everything

I did almost pull trigger yesterday on a mid tier iMac but I just think that extra money, especially with owning monitor etc, would be wasted.

anything else I should consider ?

is it worth the 200 quid for the extra ram ? Or am I Better seeing how get on with 8 and then upgrading myself in 12 months time etc ?

and I’m terms of the imac, I am correct that that would be overkill ?

are there any must have accessories for the mini ?
Hubs? Mounts ? Etc.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Reaction score
Other thing I should ask. My monitor is an LG 27ul600

i have seen some posts, although seem to be quite historic, that the Mac mini has issues with 4K displays and picture and performance may suffer.

is the case ? Will I be ok ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Yes, you can use those drives in external enclosures with the Mac mini.

Not sure what the boot time is, but all current Macs are pretty fast to startup.

The Mac mini (or really any of the current Macs) are well-suited for everyday computing tasks. It's a personal decision to go with the mini/your LG display versus an iMac. For you usage, they will perform pretty much the same.

Extra RAM is always a good thing to a point. If you think you'll want to add RAM to a Mac mini, I personally recommend doing it at the time of purchase, even though it is a bit more expensive. I don't recommend folks open up a mini to upgrade hardware, as it is moderatley involved and requires removal of the entire logic board assembly: Mac mini Late 2018 Memory (RAM) Replacement.

iMacs are nice, as they are all-in-one. Yes, they are slightly more powerful, but not for most every day tasks.Depending of which model mini and iMac, pricing could end up being "close". One advantage of an iMac is that you could run a dual display setup with your current LG 4K display.

No must have accessories out of the box, since it has an HDMI port for your display. It would depend on what you are looking to connect, like the number of external drives, keyboards/mice, etc.

The 2020 Mac minis don't have any issues with 4K displays that I know of...you should be fine.

The current Mac mini is a pretty powerful little Mac, and I have been considering one myself.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve ordered the base i5. I’ve watched a few videos etc and seen that the 8gb ram can get pushed but don’t think I’ll be doing anything much for awhile that browsing web whilst typing a word document and listening to radio 2

I like the ability to connect to my iPad as well which is neat

my plan would be to have one 512gb ssd drive which holds my most used files and documents and then the 2tb hybrid with everything else. Both are not even close to half full so I should be good and then keep the Mac mini drive just for os and programs

thanks for the advice

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...sounds like a great choice. I think you will be very happy with it.

Let us know if you have any additional questions when it arrives.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Thanks.
It arrived today and I have to admit. I’m lost
I’ve been using windows since, well before windows, and am a big iPad user but macOS has me a little stumped but guess it’s just a learning curve

im searching net now for an idiots guide
It’s little things, like constantly being asked for password and settings seem to always be locked. And I suppose how the dock disappears when you go full screen, where I have always been used to the star button etc.

ive only had half hour with it, need my working week to be over and a proper play. Sleek and nifty machine though.

One other thing, I have usb c to display port on my monitor. Why can’t I control the volume from within the os ? The monitor controls are real fiddly and I used to have the side scroll wheel on my Mx master mouse so the volume under windows, but whilst I can configure the mouse to do this, when trying change volume I get a speaker icon with a cross under it

I am sure there are lots of other little quirks and tips I need to learn.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...congrats!

Here are a few articles on Apple's website that may help you out a bit:
-Meet your Mac
-Mac tips for Windows switchers

-When is it prompting you for your password?
-Yes, some settings in System Preferences are always locked, as they are system-wide and not user-based. They affect all users on the Mac.
-Yes, the Dock disappears in full screen - you can make it appear by moving your cursor to the bottom of the full screen application window and it should popup. (can be a little tricky - you may have to move it a bit)
-Macs cannot natively control volume on devices connected via HDMI or DisplayPort. SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba ($29) states it can using its Super Volume Keys function.

Hope that helps a bit, and feel free to ask away.

C

Reaction score
Thanks.
password seems to come up loads, changing settings and like. I managed to get it so I can double click my watch, and once I got over how cool that was it dawned on me it was even more annoying lol

password wise, as long as the machine is locked when booted / sleep etc. Then I don’ really need any password prompts as it’s just me with access

i think I’m getting there. I’ve watched some videos and read the articles. I’m learning “finder” and comparing that to file explorer to help me learn

out of interest, is it easy enough to factory default the machine, wipe everything, user settings the lot etc, so after I have had a few weeks of playing I can go back to it being like da

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

-You can turn off the password prompt when the screen saver activates in  > System Preferences... > Security & Privacy > General by unchecking Require password ____ after sleep or screen saver begins.
-There isn't a restore to a restore point like in Windows. The only real way to rest everything to out-of-the-box new is the completely erase the drive and reinstall everything.

Any settings changes you make are easily changed again, and won't hurt anything. If you have questions about what the defaults are, just ask, and we should be able to tell you. There are ways to uninstall any software that you add, so that's not a big deal.

Keep at it and we're here if you need anything.

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much
I did a factory reset last night, just to see if I could I to try get understanding from ground up how works

I’ve managed to get an app that allows me to “snap” windows like on, well, windows so that helps and I have the software for my Logitech Mx mouse setup to enable gestures

not being able to control the volume using side mouse wheel / keyboard shortcuts is a tad annoying but nothing I can’t live with.

also annoying is no “shift + insert” for paste
That will take more getting used to especially as use windows machines at work and it’s a heavily user short cut

the only another annoyance, and again possibly soon her used to, is the location of the window circles, being top left rather than top right.

I am getting there though and the sync with iPad is worth weight in gold

well it would be if I could get Noteability to sync.

Reaction score
@Cory Cooper
Something I do need to ask is in relation to my monitor / display

it’s an LG UHD 27UL600 27” Monitor
I have it connected via usb c / thunderbolt to display port

I wasn’t overly happy with the picture. It certainly didn’t look as clear or as bright as it did when connected to windows pc

however it keeps seemingly reverting the monitor to HDR as well. The picture looks terrible. Too red. Too blotchy. But HDR is not enabled under the display settings

also, all of the monitors picture settings are unavailable

any ideas / suggestions.
Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Not sure what you mean by also annoying is no “shift + insert” for paste? Command-V is the paste function, Command-C is copy, and Command-X is cut.
-You'll get used to the window controls after a while. ;)
-Notability will sync via iCloud between Macs and iOS devices, if you purchase the application for both.

LG Display
-Certain USB-C to DisplayPort adapters can cause issues - which brand/model is your adapter?
-Have you tried the resolution settings in  > System Preferences... > Displays > Display > Resolution: Scaled and  > System Preferences... > Displays > Color?
-You can only adjust the LG's built-in display controls using the Joystick and menus on the display itself.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question