Apple Logo Potentially Burned onto Screen?

Reaction score
I have a 2017 model MacBook Air, and only just today I noticed the faint, blurry image of the apple logo in the centre my screen, while the screen was off. it was a sort of greenish color.
I turned the screen on and it was no longer visible, but when I turned the brightness down to 0 the entire screen was dark except for inside the space of where the logo had appeared, I could still see my desktop faintly, color and all! I fully shutdown the computer and yet the greenish, blurry apple logo was still visible over the black screen.
The only thing I can think of is that somehow the light up apple logo on the back has burned through the screen, it's the exact size and position. Forgive me if this faint logo is actually some strange intended feature, I just noticed it today. I have only recently bought this product and have no prior experience with Macs. Thanks! :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I manage hundreds of MacBook Airs at work, and that is something I haven't ever seen. Not that it is impossible, but it is highly unlikely. I am not sure what the actual light is source used to illuminate the Apple logo - whether it is the LCD panel backlight, or a separate light source, but neither shouldn't cause burn-in, as it would be between the case/Apple logo and the LCD panel.

That said, I have seen a ghosted Apple logo on the screen of Macs that have illuminated Apple logo when they are powered off. If the lid is open, the MBA is off or even on and set to a low brightness, you can see the light "shine" through a bit to the display panel if there is a strong amount of light behind the MBA,. You can verify this by powering off the MBA and shining a flashlight at the logo on the back of the display case. If you move the flashlight around, the ghosted Apple logo will change.

I think that it is normal and not actual burn-in or damage, as you would see that when certain solid colors were displayed on the screen. It is simply light leakage through the plastic Apple logo in the case.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question