Orphan files from Apple's Backup.app

Reaction score
(Apologies if this has been discussed. I have not found it, but please just point me to the right thread.)

I recently found 4 dvd's of photos backed in 2008 up with Apple's "Backup" app. (The one with the orange umbrella logo.) I would really like to retrieve these files, since I think they may include images lost in a disk crash.

Is there any other program that can open these orphaned files, now that backup.app no longer works?

Many thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Now there's a blast from the past! I had forgotten about the old .Mac/MobileMe Backup function.

The only way I know of to access those Backup-created discs, would be to have an older Mac running a version of OS X before Sierra (like Leopard/Snow Leopard), and have the Backup app installed. That may be a tall order, since the Backup application is no longer downloadable.

C

Reaction score
Thank you! I may actually have access to such a computer. I don't know yet if it has the Backup app, but if it doesn't, _maybe_ I can copy it from my current computer, where there is still a copy, even though it doesn't work.

I'll get back to you when I've tried it tomorrow.

Ask a Question