My documents folder has been replaced by iCloud Drive in Dock

Reaction score
I was messing with the iCloud settings and somehow my documents folder has been replaced by iCloud Drive in the dock.
Can I revert back to how it was and store my documents locally and have the documents folder in the dock?

Reaction score
Yes, I have time machine backup on external hard drive

Good. I don't use iCloud, but if there is no solution, nor an "easy" one, you should be able to get back to normal by doing a restore from your backup. However, you'll need to get to the latest Time Machine backup that does not have the "pieces" from what you recently did. I cannot offer any advice/information about that, as I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and I only do them once a week.

Reaction score
I was messing with the iCloud settings and somehow my documents folder has been replaced by iCloud Drive in the dock.
Can I revert back to how it was and store my documents locally and have the documents folder in the dock?

Just follow these steps to fix this common problem:

1) Carefully open up the back of your Mac using a sledgehammer, crowbar and one of those teeny, teeny, tiny, tiny little screwdrivers.

2) Put on your safety goggles!

3) Identify any parts which look electronicky, and maybe related to iCloud somehow.

4) Pry effected parts out with crowbar, or smash with sledgehammer.

5) Reassemble Mac using wallpaper paste, Crazy Glue and duct tape.

6) Press the power button. If nothing happens then you have successfully uninstalled all iCloud features.

Reaction score
Just follow these steps to fix this common problem:

1) Carefully open up the back of your Mac using a sledgehammer, crowbar and one of those teeny, teeny, tiny, tiny little screwdrivers.

2) Put on your safety goggles!

3) Identify any parts which look electronicky, and maybe related to iCloud somehow.

4) Pry effected parts out with crowbar, or smash with sledgehammer.

5) Reassemble Mac using wallpaper paste, Crazy Glue and duct tape.

6) Press the power button. If nothing happens then you have successfully uninstalled all iCloud features.

Sure are "helpful", aren't you?:):)

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are folks like that in this world! Too bad they do not adhere to the very applicable quote from the movie "The Day of the Jackal", where Sidney Poitier says to Richard Gere: "Go along, and we'll get along".

In any event, I suspect you are still having the issue. With that in mind, maybe you need to completely Erase and Format your internal drive, do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of whatever Mac OS you want (or are using), and then, via Migration Assistant, "migrate"/copy needed stuff from your Time Machine backup. Again, though, I am unsure as t which backup to use, to insure that it is a "clean" one that does not contain any pieces related to your issue.

However, there is, potentially, a more serious issue. I saw this yesterday on the site www.macworld.com, and also on www.yahoo.com:

http://www.macworld.com/article/318...-millions-of-apple-devices-demand-ransom.html

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...Apple&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

I don't use iCloud, not even for backups, so this will not affect me. I also don't know how credible it is, but given all the sources reporting it, it could be real. So maybe you might want to "suspend" using iCloud.

Reaction score
I upgraded to macOS sirra some time ago. I read this on a website,
" When you first download the update to macOS Sierra, you will be prompted to turn on Desktop & Documents Folders syncing. However, you can hold off on enabling the feature and manually turn it on at a later time if you choose."
My thinking is, why would I want to store my documents in iCloud and pay a fee to Apple when I have plenty of room on my hard drive? I have everything backed up with Time Machine, so don't have to worry about that.
I was happy as things were.
I'm not a Techy person, just wondering what's best to do.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are folks like that in this world! Too bad they do not adhere to the very applicable quote from the movie "The Day of the Jackal", where Sidney Poitier says to Richard Gere: "Go along, and we'll get along".

In any event, I suspect you are still having the issue. With that in mind, maybe you need to completely Erase and Format your internal drive, do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of whatever Mac OS you want (or are using), and then, via Migration Assistant, "migrate"/copy needed stuff from your Time Machine backup. Again, though, I am unsure as t which backup to use, to insure that it is a "clean" one that does not contain any pieces related to your issue.

However, there is, potentially, a more serious issue. I saw this yesterday on the site www.macworld.com, and also on www.yahoo.com:

http://www.macworld.com/article/318...-millions-of-apple-devices-demand-ransom.html

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...Apple&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

I don't use iCloud, not even for backups, so this will not affect me. I also don't know how credible it is, but given all the sources reporting it, it could be real. So maybe you might want to "suspend" using iCloud.
Yes, like I say, I don't really understand all this techy stuff, but not really comfortable having all my Documents etc. stored somewhere in a cloud.

Reaction score
All of that makes perfect sense, and I am certainly in that situation: plenty of hard disk space (both internal and external, and SSDs in my case), and I make weekly backups using SuperDuper! to two different external SSDs.

The problem is that in this "got to have it now", "the lazy way" world, a lot of folks want to use the "convenience" of something like iCloud (there are, of course, many other examples of such things), and do not understand the possible consequences. To turn off the use/syncing of iCloud, this link describes how to do that:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679836?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
There you go, all I was trying to say. Kill the cloud.

By physically abusing the machine? Don't think that will work well at all.

Again, I say "Go along, and we'll get along".

Last edited:
Reaction score
By physically abusing the machine? Don't think that will work well at all.

Again, I say "Go along, and we'll get along".
All of that makes perfect sense, and I am certainly in that situation: plenty of hard disk space (both internal and external, and SSDs in my case), and I make weekly backups using SuperDuper! to two different external SSDs.

The problem is that in this "got to have it now", "the lazy way" world, a lot of folks want to use the "convenience" of something like iCloud (there are, of course, many other examples of such things), and do not understand the possible consequences. To turn off the use/syncing of iCloud, this link describes how to do that:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679836?start=0&tstart=0
Well honestone, I'd like to thank you for your help.
I went to the link and followed the instructions and I think that did the trick. I still have the iCloud drive folder in the dock where the documents folder was but when I open it I can then select my documents. So, I think that has sorted it.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Well honestone, I'd like to thank you for your help.
I went to the link and followed the instructions and I think that did the trick. I still have the iCloud drive folder in the dock where the documents folder was but when I open it I can then select my documents. So, I think that has sorted it.
Thanks again

Glad you got it resolved. And always glad to help.

Ask a Question