Documents display

Reaction score
On my MacBook Pro how do I change the display of files in the Documents folder from icons to alphabetical list?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try using these keyboard shortcuts the different view options available:

 1
 2
 3
 4

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you see this symbol ⌘ on the key either side of the spacebar? I think this symbol replaced the  on newer keyboards as the Command symbol.

If you press this key & press either 1 through to 4 you'll see the different Finder folder views.

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry to be slow to respond, but that Command key and numbers 1 - 4 don't do anything at all.
Now I see that these commands do relate to the open Documents folder that I reach through Finder. They don't affect the view in the Sidebar Icon, though.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
On my MacBook Pro how do I change the display of files in the Documents folder from icons to alphabetical list?

The display of files in any Finder folder can be changed using those keyboard shortcuts.

⌘ 1 displays the files as icons ⌘ 2 as a list ⌘ 3 in a column ⌘ 4 in Coverflow.

They don't affect the view in the Sidebar Icon, though.

Are you asking about the Sidebar because I understood you were asking about the display of files?

Reaction score
I found that your information about changing the view in the display of files in the Finder folder worked; thanks.
Yes, it's the view in the Sidebar Documents that resists my efforts to get a list rather than icons.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Does your Finder sidebar look like the one in the attached image?

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.32.48 pm.png

Reaction score
Does your Finder sidebar look like the one in the attached image?

View attachment 2369
When I select Finder, yes, but when I am looking at the desktop or using Safari, my Sidebar is a collection of program icons, including Documents . When I select that Documents icon, I see the collection of file icons that I initially complained about.

Ask a Question