Migrate from linux to OSX

Reaction score
I've been using linux for about 12 years now. I'm considering migrating back to OSX (I used it previously). I have about 1.2Tb worth of data, files, audio, video, etc. on my linux machine. I know that linux ext4 does not talk with OSX HFS+. I also have files and directories that contain characters such as ; : ? etc on my linux machine. Any suggestions as to how I can migrate back to OSX?

Reaction score
I did the exact thing you are doing: migrated back. I have a NAS and backed Linux up to that so for me it was just a matter of pulling everything over off the NAS. Maybe if you have an external drive you can format it with a file system both can see, push the data there from Linux and then from there to your Mac?

Reaction score
I did the exact thing you are doing: migrated back. I have a NAS and backed Linux up to that so for me it was just a matter of pulling everything over off the NAS. Maybe if you have an external drive you can format it with a file system both can see, push the data there from Linux and then from there to your Mac?
Which file system format is compatible with both? NTFS, exFAT, and FAT32 are usually recommended. However, none of these will accept the special characters. What file system do you have on your NAS?

Reaction score
Good question. The file system on the NAS isn’t “seen” by any of the clients. When I ran Linux, it saw the NAS as an NFS share only, and I used rsync to do file back ups. I am not sure of the file systems you mention which would be best. I never had issues with special characters so I am afraid my advice probably isn’t helpful.

Reaction score
Googling this revealed exFAT as the preferred file system to do transfers. What special characters are you having issues with? I don't remember having any issues with characters but it has been several years since I migrated and I had my data on an external drive but not sure of the file system. I am also not sure if I used a cloud system to migrate but I don't think so. The only thing I would have migrated was anything in my "Documents" directory and my password database (Keepass). plus photographs.

Ask a Question