SOLVED '08 Mac Pro desktop..How to migrate to SSD?

Reaction score
My old faithful is having some trouble..The HD is making "knocking" noises and slowing down...I had one crash several years ago and it cost me way too much to get it restored...So..How do I switch everything over to SSD?..I have a general idea but I'm not a tech kinda' guy..plus I'm old..

If anyone can suggest what to buy..where to buy it and some pointers on making the move I would appreciate it very much...thanks....windsail....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like the drive is starting to fail. Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?

You should be able to purchase and install a SSD in your Mac Pro. I normally recommend Samsung SSDs, as they are fast and reliable. Once you get the SSD installed into another drive sled (you will probably need an adapter because the SSD is smaller than the 3.5" drives used in the Mac Pro), you can install OS X/macOS onto it, then startup from it and use the Migration Assistant to transfer your applications and files. However, if the drive is indeed failing that may not work, and you would have to do things the long, manual way.

C

Reaction score
Many thanks for your response!!.....I have a Samsung on a pre-order..thought it was a good one...However..I have read that it should be connected externally to initialize it..and maybe make the transfer there before installing into the Mac...The guy who wrote that felt that the Mac wouldn't recognize it if installed initially ...
The adapter you mention...I think it is called a "converter"..is that right?...
My HD is still cooking' so far..but judging from the failure I had several years ago..I don't think it'll last much longer...

Again...thank you much....windsail....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, the Samsung's are the best in my opinion. I have four of them and never an issue.

The adapter is link this: NewerTech AdaptaDrive. It allows you to install a 2.5" SSD drive in the 3.5" HD carrier in your Mac Pro.

I have heard of that issue before - SSDs not being recognized. However, they do normally work if you first install them in Bay 4. Once it is configured, and you migrate your data, you should be able to move it to Bay 1 and it should work.

C

Reaction score
And I thank you once again sir...I'm a old guy and a little slow with tech.....But learning fast....windsail...

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again but I need some more info if you can find the time...

I had to use an external drive to recognize the SSD from earlier..hope you remember..

So..now the Disk Utility is giving me some options..

First..under "Format"...Choices are OS X Extended Journaled or Case Sensitive Journaled..
Others are MS-DOS ..FAT and ExFat...

Common sense tells me OS X Extended...Right?

Next one is "Scheme"...GUID Partition Map
Master Boot Record
Apple Partition Map

Kinda' stuck there...Can you help again please....

And after that I hope I can migrate my HD to the new SSD and begin using it as my drive...

Again thank you for taking time to help out......Shawn McCafferty

Report Edit

Reaction score
Below is the reply I received from Cory Cooper in a message I had sent to him....Thanks for your help once again...windsail...

Hello,

OS X Extended (Journaled) - no need for case-senstive
GUID Partition Map - Intel Macs require this to boot

Those are what you want. Please do me a favor and post this in your other thread as well, that way others can benefit from the discussion if they may have the same question in the future.

C

Ask a Question