Migrate to new computer running Mohave

Reaction score
Present Mac mini (late 2012) is running El Capitan. New computer is a late 2012 Server stripped of server OSX and is running Mohave. Do I upgrade old Mac mini to Mohave before migrating or after migration via Mac software? External backup will be done before migration.
Thanks for help.
Help2714

Reaction score
Present Mac mini (late 2012) is running El Capitan. New computer is a late 2012 Server stripped of server OSX and is running Mohave. Do I upgrade old Mac mini to Mohave before migrating or after migration via Mac software? External backup will be done before migration.
Thanks for help.
Help2714

First, what software do you use for backups? If it's Time Machine, then your project will take some time, with a good amount of patience. But if it's a bootable backup made with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, then it will be easier, less time consuming, and smoother.

Secondly, it is best in this case to do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Mohave onto your late 2012 Mac Min (I also have one). One of the primary reasons for it is that you are skipping 2 versions of the Mac OS (Sierra and High Sierra). To do that, it will be necessary to Erase and format the internal drive on your Mac Mini. BTW, is that a HDD or an SSD?

Third, need clarification with your statement "Do I upgrade old Mac mini to Mohave before migrating or after migration via Mac software?". From which backup will you be migrating software from? If it's from the late 2012 Server, then I assume that you have already insured that any third party software you are using on the server is compatible with Mojave.

In any event, you need to first "upgrade" the late 2012 Mini to Mojave before migrating "stuff" from a backup. The migration process can also migrate all your settings, preferences, etc., besides software.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply, Honestone.
I talked to my son tonight and as a result, I will be taking both Mac Mini's to Best Buy Geek Squad to have them do the migration so any problems are theirs to solve. It's so nice to have a son working for Best Buy. :)
Again, I appreciate the time and effort you spent.
Help2714

Reaction score
While that is all well and good, in terms of taking care of your current situation, it is best if you start getting into a routine of disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backups, on your own. There are a number of excellent programs available to help you with those tasks. And you can use your son as a resource for that.

In any event, glad you are getting the situation resolved.

Ask a Question