Migrate emails from 10.5.8 macbook to 10.10.macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi there, i am struggling to migrate emails from an early 2008 white macbook (running OS X 10.5.8) to a new late 2011 macbook pro (running 10.10). The rest (iphoto, documents, itunes music, etc..) was done manually with a external HD.

But now I have spent nearly a full week, browsing the web, forums, service pages, etc.. on how to get emails from the old mac to the new one, and I have actually tried all the hints and procedures. Nothing worked so far :-( copying library/mail folders preferences /mail folder and com.apple.mail.plist file or simply archiving inboxes and importing them....

I also did a backup using Time Machine on the old macbook, but on the new macbook there are no data in Time Machine. Looks like 10.10 cannot "read" the 10.5.8 Time Machine backup. Don't know what to do anymore?!? Last idea (which would be very time consuming) is to try to upgrade the early 2008 white macbook to Snow Leopard 10.6 (which I would need to buy) and then put 10.6. also on the new macbook pro (actually downgrade it) and migrate from there again to Yosemite.

I'm wondering if I'am the only person in the entire macworld facing this problem???
Please can someone of the experts help. Sorry for the language, I am not a native speaker.

Ask a Question