Migrate to a new MacBook

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, early 2015), Processor 2,7, Memory 8GB. My old one (Mid 2012) also has 8GB Memory. I tried to restore the new MacBook from a Time Machine Backup from the old one and it tells me that there is not enough space on the new disk. How is it possible? What am I doing wrong? I would be very thankful if someone can help me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It may be simply because the newer MBPs have flash storage, which are sometimes smaller than the older conventional hard drives in previous models.

-What size hard drive in the 2012 MBP - 500 GB, 750 GB, 1 TB?
-What size flash storage in the new 2015 MBP - 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB?

C

Reaction score
Thank you very much! That is exactly the problem... the older one has 750GB and the new one 256GB. I did not buy neither of them, so I had no idea. Now I only wonder if the only possible solution is to buy an external hard drive and have the rest of my files there. It´s not very practical since I do not always work at my office, but I guess there is no other alternative. Am I right?

Reaction score
On the old internal drive, do you have all your stuff on only one partition? And, is all that stuff contained in the Time Machine backup?

Typically, it is best to partition a drive, with one of the partitions dedicated to backups. You did state "have the rest of my files there". Some clarification would be helpful.

Reaction score
Ok, I give you a little bit context :) I work at a University, writing my PhD. Both computers were given to me by the Administration and configured by "them". All the stuff in my old internal drive is in only one partition, at the beginning I did not know I would "accumulate" such a big amount of data and did not know that a partition would have made sense. I am in the Humanities Department, so we do not get that much "technical support" and the worst part is that the guy in charge of configuring the computers and then help us with technical problems hates Apple.... so every time I call him he just says it is a big mistake to have a MacBook and that I should toss it and buy me a new Windows Laptop myself...
At home I have a big WDMyCloudMirror with 4TB where I have the backup from my Mac and from the MacBook. I do not have a partition for backups and I don´t know if I can do that now, neither how to do it.
I do not want to make the same mistakes I made already with the old MacBook, I am really thankful for any suggestions and help.

Thanks again :)

Ask a Question