Migrate linux Courier to Mac Cyrus

Reaction score
I have about 100+ users who need to be migrated over from the existing Courier mail system running on Linux to the new Mac mail server. Both systems use maildirs but the actual format of these maildirs is quite different. Also I can see no way of updating the mailbox db on the Mac.

Does anyone know of a tool, process or some resources I could use to write my own tools?

Thanks,
Josh

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Josh,

as far as I know, aren't the maildirs the same format?, I think that the only difference is that cyrus adds index files. If this is the case then can you:-

copy all the files from the courier directory to the relevant cyrus directory (for each user copy its mail to /path_to_imap_on_mac_os_x/user/username/)

Then change the ownership to cyrus. Chown

Then recreate the index files, and database's of the relevant mailboxes.

This should in theory work, I have "Ubuntu" running on a PC Laptop, and will see if (if I somehow get some spare time,LOL) will try and recreate on my systems.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

I think I have tried that.

I copied a single maildir from cyrus to the Mac. Then used the reconstruct -i command.

After seeing a bunch of errors like this:
reconstruct: couldn't open partition: /Volumes/Mail/Email/user/jhurd/Apple/courierimapuiddb
reconstruct: couldn't open partition: /Volumes/Mail/Email/user/jhurd/Apple/maildirfolder

I get a mailbox full of unreadable mail that looks something like this:
user/jhurd
user/jhurd/Deleted Messages
user/jhurd/Important
user/jhurd/Important/courierimapkeywords
user/jhurd/Important/cur
user/jhurd/Important/new
user/jhurd/Important/tmp
user/jhurd/Sent Messages
user/jhurd/courierimapkeywords
user/jhurd/cur
user/jhurd/new
user/jhurd/tmp

cur, new and tmp are courier specific as far as I can tell. Also courier adds a leading dot to folder names like this .Important so the reconstruct command doesn't see them. I can write a script to fix that no problem but I still get no mail after the reconstruct command and the messy looking cur, new, tmp folders.

Is reconstruct not what I should be using here?

Thanks again!
Josh

Ric

Reaction score
Have a go with imapsync or possibly MoveIMAPMail, sorry for the delay but have been away.

Hope you have got a bit further on...

The procedure of migrating the mails is (should be) as simple as:

1. Copy all the files from courier to cyrus directories (for each user copy its mail to /path_to_imap_on_mac_os_x/user/username/)

2. Change the ownership to cyrus:mail (chown -R)

3. Recreate the indexes and the database of mailboxes (mailboxes.db file) using the "reconstruct -m" command as user cyrus. This may take some time if you have huge mailboxes.

If you find a good way, that definately works please feel free to let us know, thanks.

Ric

Ask a Question