SOLVED Mac's read 'talk' app does not read text in table cells

Reaction score
Hi!
I wonder if you have come across this problem. I use the read text application to read text in Word (when I am comparing two documents), but realised that it does not work for text in table cells. The cursor goes automatically to text that is not in the table. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I tried highlighting only the text, but it does not work. I'm on iMac M1 (Ventura).

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is exactly what you require, but I went 'System Preferences' > 'Accessibility' > 'Spoken Content' and ticked 'Speak items under pointer'. Then just put the pointer in the table.

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Lufbrarunner, but I tried it and it does not work (table in a Word document). It works on any text that is not in the table cell. Which app have you tried it on?

Reaction score
I tried it on Word (Office 2016) and all worked OK. I am on an intel Mac with Monterey, so that may account for it.

Reaction score
I found the culprit! The system voice on my Mac was default set to Siri compact voice, and when I changed it to another voice, it worked. Oof!! Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question