MacOS Monterey 12.2

Reaction score
macOS Monterey 12.2 RC (release candidate) was recently issued to developers and public beta testers. This, in my opinion, is premature since the beta version only reached #2 before RC, which implies that the wide version is forthcoming.

Historically macOS Catalina, as far as I can recall, reached beta 8 before wide release; macOS Big Sur 11.5 reached beta 5 before the release candidate.

Now macOS Monterey 12.2 has only gone up to beta 2 before RC, and I was still plagued with bugs and instability/overheating problems that I had to downgrade to 12.1 (21C52). I am holding off on installing 12.2 until further testing before installing it on my production Mac.

If you are not familiar with downgrades, or clean reinstalls, I highly recommend holding off when macOS 12.2 is released. I have a feeling that this update is being issued to fix compatibility problems with the new M1 Max and Pro machines. If you do not have one of these, you won’t have a great need to upgrade.

But if you are comfortable with downgrading and clean installs, feel free to play. It can prove to be a great learning experience.

Ask a Question