SOLVED [SOLVED] MacOSX Stuck On Fullscreen

Reaction score
Although I'm not exactly sure this is the place to ask for help (smite me if I am, indeed right, and this is not the place to ask), but I got a very annoying issue.

So I was on my MacBook (OSX 10.12 something) and I open a window to fullscreen. I come back to realize the window isn't responding, and that I can't reach the top menu to shrink it. I decide to try and open a different app, but instead of either moving to a different desktop or just sliding off to the side, the window stays there and the window of the app I opened gets shoved behind it. I'm a bit curious at this point, so I decide to try and Command+Option+Escape to force quit. The app quits.

The problem?

The window is still there. Thus, I try to open mission control or the multiple desktop windows. Nothing. I try to open another app. Shoved behind it. I don't even know if I'm clicking on the app I'm trying to get to, or the stubborn window. I've closed my laptop, waited a few seconds, opened it back up, zilch. I can still reach the dock, turn volume and brightness up or down, but any app I try to open gets shoved behind the window where I can't see it. Not even "Show all windows" works.
I've tried reopening the app and going to fullscreen to see if that might work. I was dreadfully wrong. I tried force quitting. Not working. I tried a few commands, but since I don't know what window I'm on, I'm not sure if it's affecting the fullscreen, always-front-most window, or the window that might be selected. Spotlight search works. Sort of. Launchpad and Finder don't work either, which is very concerning to me.

For anybody wondering what app caused this horror, it was Affinity Designer. Unsure of which version.
I tried going to Apple's Community forums, but they required an Apple ID and I forgot the password to mine. So here I am. This is the first time It's happened to me. If anyone had or has this problem, and knows or is looking to try and fix it, please do. Most of the places Google sent me were not helping. At all. It's 9:37 PM and I have things to do. Yes, I'm using my phone to write this.

UPDATE: Issue fixed :D guess all I had to do was restart the computer (my dumb little brain didn't think of that)! If this was your issue, try the old off-than-on again trick :) Hope this helps someone

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't get a response to you before you resolved it. Yes, that is always a good first step. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question