Downloading MacOs Monterey

Reaction score
My MacBook Air is upgrading to new Monterey. It is stuck or froze at 100% complete on Grey Screen. It took hours to get to 100% ,now nothing. I have checked my storage and have plenty of room. Thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, which model MBA do you have?

Try this if you haven't already done so:

Reset your NVRAM.
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Disconnect all USB devices (except your keyboard, if it’s a wired keyboard)
  3. Press the power button, and as soon as you power up the MBA, hold down Command-Option-P-R.
  4. Keep holding down those keys for about 20 seconds. Then let go and allow your MBA to continue starting normally. If you have an older Mac that chimes at boot, hold down the keys until you hear a second startup chime. If your MBA uses the T2 Security chip, release the keys when the Apple Logo appears & disappears for the 2nd time.
  5. Check the Startup Disk, Display, and Date & Time panes of System Preferences to make sure they’re set the way you want them.
If you hold down Command-Option-P-R at startup and you see nothing but a gray screen that doesn’t change for several minutes—no Apple logo, no progress bar, no second startup chime, try plugging in a USB keyboard if you’re using an external Bluetooth keyboard. If you’re able to reset the NVRAM successfully with the wired keyboard, you can disconnect it and go back to your normal Bluetooth keyboard.

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Marty

Reaction score
My MacBook Air is upgrading to new Monterey. It is stuck or froze at 100% complete on Grey Screen. It took hours to get to 100% ,now nothing. I have checked my storage and have plenty of room. Thanks
I assume you are using System Preferences to install the Monterey upgrade. There are numerous reasons for the installation to fail in this manner, mainly from other processes running at the same time. Try installing from Recovery (reboot while holding down Command-R). See if it will offer to install Monterey from there. If it offers the same OS version that you presently have, you could do yourself a favor by reinstalling it while you’re in Recovery in case of corrupted files in your system.

You can also search for “macos monterey” at the App Store. If your hardware is indeed compatible with macOS 12, it will allow you to download and install from there. It will download the installer into your Applications folder. Once the installation starts, you should cancel it, make a copy of that file to another location in your Mac, after which you can reboot and the installation will resume automatically.

Last edited:

Ask a Question