MacBook Pro issues after getting wet in the rain

Reaction score
Hi folks,

around a year ago my MacBook Pro (late 2012) had an accident. It probably got wet in the rain, despite my waterproof backpack, and stopped working right away.

I’ve lately found out that:
- it still works when plugged in, even though the battery percentage won’t move from 0%.
- a shock as little as being moved on the desk can make it freeze and the screen shows a bunch of horizontal lines, mainly red.

At the moment the machine doesn’t even switch on anymore, as one day all of a sudden it shut down and now anytime I try to switch it back on it just beeps 3 times before shutting down. That’s why I’m starting to think that some of the RAM has either become loose or is faulty.

I now really need to sort it out and sell it to cope with lockdown, so would really like to know if anyone else has ever experienced the same issue and what my options are.

Many thanks in advance, stay safe

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like the logic board and/or other internal components may have corroded over time, and are starting to fail. If there was indeed liquid damage, it can work for a while, but can/will eventually fail and exhibit those types of issues.

Depending on the actual model, it may have memory slots or not. That is the period of time when Apple switched to RAM being soldered to the logic board without expansion slots.

Honestly, it would be best to have it looked at by an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to troubleshoot and run full hardware diagnostics.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory! Well I was hoping to avoid taking it to an Apple service provider as I can't really afford it atm. Would you say there's a chance that I can run those tests and replace any faulty components by myself?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Which exact model is it - Check Your Service and Support Coverage

The only diagnostics that consumers have access to are:
-Pre June 2013 Macs: How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac
-June 2013 and later Macs: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

There are a few other software utilities like TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, etc., but those would require the Mac to startup from the internal drive or an external drive to run.

If you have some other compatible RAM sticks, you could try those for the three beep issue.

The logic and other internal boards aren't component-level repairable, just whole unit replaceable. If you have the correct screwdriver, you could remove the bottom case and look to see if there is any liquid dmage/corrosion on the boards. But, that really should be left to a certified technician, as internal components can be damaged without the proper tools, training, and precautions.

Honestly, it does sound like it may be an expensive repair if it is indeed liquid damage - probably in the range of $500-1000.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Thank you very much indeed Cory, I couldn't have asked for better replies. I'll have a look at what you said and perhaps I'll start abandoning the idea of getting any cash out of it lol.

Best,
M

Ask a Question