MacBook Pro Monitor Issues

Reaction score
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.2

I originally was using a monitor then one day, 1.5 years into my new computer, the monitor went blank and no longer is useful. Mac Media told me I needed a new hard drive at a cost of around $800-900.00.

I went to the Apple Store and they said the hard drive was fine but I needed to have installed a hard drive bracket, front with IR/sleep/hd cable. Getting the genius bar to explain to me what exactly that meant was difficult but I said go ahead, it was free and they said my problem would be solved.

Now the pin wheel spins constant and I still cannot use the monitor.

If I buy a new monitor, do I still use the thunderbolt or the usb cable? Will it work?

Any thoughts welcomed of course.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The repair they did was to replace an internal cable that connects the hard drive, IR sensor, and sleep sensor to the logic board. It is a combination cable. It was a known issue with that model that mainly affected the hard drive.

-Which brand/model is the external display?
-Does the pinwheel only happen when the display is connected?
-You would use a Mini DisplayPort cable from the Thunderbolt port. The USB connection is used to enable USB ports on the display to be used by peripherals.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The repair they did was to replace an internal cable that connects the hard drive, IR sensor, and sleep sensor to the logic board. It is a combination cable. It was a known issue with that model that mainly affected the hard drive.

-Which brand/model is the external display?
-Does the pinwheel only happen when the display is connected?
-You would use a Mini DisplayPort cable from the Thunderbolt port. The USB connection is used to enable USB ports on the display to be used by peripherals.

C
Seems with the Mini Display Port cable and the new monitor I am home free. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question