Need to connect Macbook Pro to monitor blind

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. I have a 15" Macbook Pro running Leopard. The screen recently broke. What I need to do before taking it to be fixed is go through my stuff and back up anything that hasn't been backed up, just in case. Hard to look through files without a screen.

So I connected my Macbook to a Samsung monitor via a DVI cable. That's all fine and good, except that it treats the monitor as a second display. It's just a desktop background and a cursor. There's nothing I can do with it. I want to set up mirror display, but I can only seem to access system preferences on my Macbook's screen, which is broken.

Is there any way I can get what I would normally see on my laptop's screen (were it not broken) onto the monitor without having to use my broken screen?

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem, and F1, nor Command F1, seem to help. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ask a Question