How to set up Dual Screen Monitors on a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello!

I bought a 13 inch MacBook Pro in August of 2010. I love this Mac and I have easily been able to function with it. I can do almost anything I have thought of doing with this except for this one task: setting up another monitor so I can have a dual screen monitor.

I have an HPvs17e monitor. I recently bought a VGA adapter to Display port for my Mac. So everything is connected. The monitor is plugged in to an outlet and the display chord is plugged in to my VGA adapter and that is plugged in to my mac. I then go to system preferences, display, and then I get lost. The Mac recognizes that there is another monitor but the monitor won't show a picture. I try turning the monitor on and off but all I get is a message that reads "Monitor going to sleep".

Like I said, everything is connected, no cables or chords are missing (for all I know) and I feel like everything else is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really could use the dual set up.

Thanks again! :)
Matt

Reaction score
When you got to System Preference > Displays there should a middle TAB called Arrangement, that should show you your screens, do you see 2 blue boxes?

If you do you should be good to go, just drag the windows you want onto the second monitor.

Reaction score
I do see the two boxes but the monitor itself doesn't respond. I wonder if the problem is in the monitor?

Reaction score
Is it blank, as in black, or does it show the std star field background picture?

If it blank then I'd suspect the Monitor.

Reaction score
It's blank. No background. But its funny because I just started watching something on Netflix and Silverlight recognized that there was another monitor present. The message was like "would you like to stay in full screen when using another window?" A lot of other programs recognize it there as well.

Reaction score
Yes the Mac thinks there is a second Monitor there and will report that to any Software that asks.
We do this a lot, with all manor of Monitors, Data Projectors and TVs. And it just works! There is nothing special you need to do.

The Brightness isn't accidentally turned right down on Monitor?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi :)

Have you downloaded the most current versions of your software via Software Update, I would recommend that. Another recommendation is if the adaptor is still under warranty, take it back (If feasible) and ask for a replacement ... believe it or not, this has been a quick fix for some experiencing issues like yours ...

Another recommendation is to try connecting your MBP up to a friend's or family member's Ext Display to 'Reset' the external output of your MBP.

Connect your borrowed Ext monitor to your closed, powered-off MBP with a single-link DVI connector. Then open the lid, press the power button and immediately close the lid again (I don't have a MB or MBP and think this is known as "clam shell" mode).

If the Ext monitor is recognized, turn off your MBP, unplug the DVI connector from the display, and connect your HPvs17e monitor and boot your MBP in the same manner (open lid, press power button, close lid).

Do you have gfxcardstatus installed by any chance?

gfxCardStatus is a free menu bar application that keeps track of which graphics card your MacBook Pro is using at any given time.

If so, go into the gfxcardstatus Preferences and set it as Nvidia only, OR Dynamic Switching.

AFAIK, If gfxcardstatus is set to Intel only, then this could result in your Ext Monitor not working properly.

Reaction score
Well guys, thank you so very much for all your help!! It is really appreciated.

The brightness on the screen was turned up very high, so that wasn't it.

I did download that program, and I set it to the right settings you said.

All in all, it just worked! I moved the chord around a bit and the picture just came up. The only problem is the display continues going and coming. It makes this flashing motion. But I think I got it under control

Again, thank you so much for all the help!

Ask a Question