2011 Macbook Pro display issues - backlight goes out

Reaction score
I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" that developed an issue with the display. It turns black after the machine runs for a bit (usually 10 min). It turns black but can be restored by turning the brightness all the way down then all the way back up. The display backlight turns off completely anywhere from one notch from full brightness down to 2 notches from total darkness. Sometime it displays no symptoms after being powered down for awhile and starting back up, again, only for 10-20 minutes. I have reset the PRAM and SMC several times and have tried two different display assemblies. The first assembly only displayed very odd greenish stripes, nothing further. I then sent the logic board away to have the LVDS connector replaced, as powerbookmedic, who I bought the first replacement display from, told me the LVDS connector was probably the issue if their display didn't work properly either. The ebay repair shop said they couldn't find anything wrong with the connector and sent it back to me. I just recently bought another used display off amazon and installed it, and the new display has almost identical darkening problems as the original.

does anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix this problem? The computer runs perfectly otherwise and I often just use it at my desk with an external monitor.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

As I am sure you are aware, the MacBook Pro isn't a user-serviceable device. If proper anti-static measures and repair techniques aren't followed, addition damage can be done to the Mac. Some of the internal connectors can easily be damaged/shorted out if the repair isn't done properly or the repair parts aren't the correct ones.

That being said:

If several displays have not corrected the issue, then it sounds to me like a logic board and/or top case issue. Since it mainly happens after warmup, it is more likely an issue with the logic board. I shouldn't be a hardware backlight issue, as that board is contained in the display assembly.

I didn't know that eBay offered Mac repair services. Hopefully their repair technicians are Apple certified. Apple Authorized Service Providers have access to additional information for troubleshooting issues, and have diagnostic systems that can identify most hardware issues. This may be one of those issues that can be very difficult to track down.

I am not sure what to suggest from here, as it is a unique problem that I have not come across before.

C

Ask a Question