Macbook Pro hangs at boot

Reaction score
Hello,

When i bootup my Macbook Pro in hangs when the Finder Starts (Blue Screen "Mac OS X box).

I have tried:
1. Remove battery and power adapter - hold pwr button for 5 secs.
2. booting into single user mode - doing a /sbin/fsck -fy at root.
3. PVRAM
4. booting and holding the shift to bypass extensions - does't do anything

How do I bypass the Finder to get to the desktop?
How do i repair the Finder?

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

cm:(

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Eraxxer and welcome,

Do you have any ideas as to what has brought this on? Have you recently added any new software/hardware/peripherals?

I note you haven't mentioned whether or not you have tried booting from your install disc?

If you've not done this yet, pop the install disc into the drive and reboot holding down the "C" key when you hear the startup chime and navigate to the Disc Utility Folder on the disc. Run the Permissions Repair function and also the Repair Disc funtion.

As for bypassing the Finder to get to the Desktop, I don't know of anyway to do this.

To repair the Finder, here's a link to some discussion on that.

Hopefully this will be of help to you ...

Reaction score
Thanks Spawn for your help.

To answer your questions, I bought the Macbook about 2 weeks ago, used, and didn't come with the install DVD's. I was downloading the updates but had problems installing it. I also downloaded boot camp and installed the Assistant but did not continue anymore because of the problem i was having with the Updates.

So I repaired the permissions which went fine. But when i did a check on the volume disk it found errors. I run the repair volume and then rebooted.

Since then it's went down hill. Can't boot back in the desktop. It always hangs on boot.

I called apple and registered my laptop and ordered the Install DVD's for about $30.00 bucks. Still haven't arrived. Thought that I can find a solution before the disk arrived or so I won't have to reformat or reinstall the OS since the laptop came with lots of software installed that i don't have diskettes for.

Thanks for you help.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you tried removing the RAM module/s and ensuring they are seated properly?

When Disc Utility found Disk errors it should tell you that it can't repair the volume, this is because the volume is actually mounted and to be repaired the volume first needs to be unmounted/dismounted (?). In this case you need the install disc so you can boot from it instead of booting from the Hard Drive. On the disc you'll find Disc Utility and you repair the HD from there ....

Reaction score
The Tiger disk that I ordered arrived so I just wiped everything clean and re-installed.

Never found out what the heck happend.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Glad you have sorted it all out Eraxxer ... hope you didn't lose any important stuff ... promise you'll make regular backups "Just In Case" ...

;)

Ask a Question