Macbook pro 2017 bootable USB issue

Reaction score
Hi all, does anybody here have any pointers to create a bootable USB for Ventura 13?
The macbook suddenly shutdown and it doesn't want to recover and reinstall from the recovery partition.
When I try to reinstall I get an error "update servers not responding".

This is my only mac so I'm forced to use windows to create a bootable drive.
But ventura comes as a PKG file and not a DMG file so I'm not even sure how to pull this off.
I know there are way to get a DMG files through macOS but I'm not finding any download links for them that I can access now.
The latest i could download was sierra but this would not install for some reason it kept telling me to start again.

Hoping someone here has a solution.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi all, does anybody here have any pointers to create a bootable USB for Ventura 13?
The macbook suddenly shutdown and it doesn't want to recover and reinstall from the recovery partition.
When I try to reinstall I get an error "update servers not responding".

This is my only mac so I'm forced to use windows to create a bootable drive.
But ventura comes as a PKG file and not a DMG file so I'm not even sure how to pull this off.
I know there are way to get a DMG files through macOS but I'm not finding any download links for them that I can access now.
The latest i could download was sierra but this would not install for some reason it kept telling me to start again.

Hoping someone here has a solution.

Thanks
See if you can boot into Safe Mode and at least still be able to connect online. If this works, see if you can go to the App Store from the  menu. In the search field, type in “macOS Ventura.” If it comes up, click on View, and then Get. If successful, the Get command will start downloading the installer file into your Applications folder. It should launch and guide you through the installation process.

If you are not able to, I can walk you through a couple more procedures for downloading and/or creating a bootable installer from a thumb drive or an external drive. The main thing is to be able to connect to the Apple server for systems installers.

Reaction score
Sadly I emptied the drive only the recovery partition is still on there.
But if I'm on the macOS utilities page I cannot do a whole lot.
Choosing reinstall macOS will give an error eventually saying "the recovery server could not be contacted"
I tried every suggest solution for this error but none of them fixed this.
Choosing restore on the empty drive doesn't give me the option to restore from the os X base system.

The one bootable older image believe high Sierra would constantly tell me something went wrong and to restart the installation.

So I wanted to try a newer or even the latest/newest OS possible for this model.

Reaction score
Choosing reinstall macOS will give an error eventually saying "the recovery server could not be contacted"
Choosing restore on the empty drive doesn't give me the option to restore from the os X base system.

The one bootable older image believe high Sierra would constantly tell me something went wrong and to restart the installation.

So I wanted to try a newer or even the latest/newest OS possible for this model.
Try booting into Recovery mode. Shutdown, restart and immediately hold down command-R. The only requirement is an internet connection. From Recovery, you will be offered to install the newest version of macOS for your model Mac. I’m not sure what you mean exactly by “macOS utilities page,” but if it’s part of the Recovery utility, you should be able to, from the menu bar, select the different functions available—Disk Utility, install macOS, etc.

An even more basic form of Recovery is Internet Recovery, if the former is not working. To get there, reboot and hold down command-option-R. Again, you need to be connected to the internet. This takes a much longer time to come up.

Reaction score

Try booting into Recovery mode. Shutdown, restart and immediately hold down command-R. The only requirement is an internet connection. From Recovery, you will be offered to install the newest version of macOS for your model Mac. I’m not sure what you mean exactly by “macOS utilities page,” but if it’s part of the Recovery utility, you should be able to, from the menu bar, select the different functions available—Disk Utility, install macOS, etc.

An even more basic form of Recovery is Internet Recovery, if the former is not working. To get there, reboot and hold down command-option-R. Again, you need to be connected to the internet. This takes a much longer time to come up.

Yes those methods if I'm not mistaken send you to the macOS utilities page.
Where you get to page as in attached screenshot.

Choosing reinstall macOS will give an error saying
"The recovery server could not be contacted"

Attachments

• macos-catalina-recovery-mode-utilities-disk-utility.jpg
    macos-catalina-recovery-mode-utilities-disk-utility.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Wow, I haven’t seen that page in a long time. I can only go back to Monterey. You probably need a bootable USB system installer which, unfortunately requires a fully functioning Mac to create. And the 2017 MBP is indeed upgradable to macOS Ventura. But the only recourse, I think, is to find someone to help by creating a macOS installer drive for you.

Reaction score

Wow, I haven’t seen that page in a long time. I can only go back to Monterey. You probably need a bootable USB system installer which, unfortunately requires a fully functioning Mac to create. And the 2017 MBP is indeed upgradable to macOS Ventura. But the only recourse, I think, is to find someone to help by creating a macOS installer drive for you.
Yeah I was afraid of that.
Any tips of a good guide that explains it?
Because I doubt it's as easy as window bootable USB lol

Reaction score

First, the installer application needs to be on the Mac creating the bootable installer. It can be located anywhere but in my example, it is inside the /Applications folder (top level). You will then format either a thumb drive (USB) or external drive, formatted HFS+. Give it a recognizable name like “Install macOS Sonoma.” Next, launch Terminal and enter the code:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma

You can see that the file “Install macOS Sonoma.app” is located inside the Applications folder, and your target (installer drive) is “Install macOS Sonoma” (without the quotes, of course). So make sure the target drive is connected and shows up in Finder.

You can then simply copy and paste the code I entered above, BUT know that Terminal might add spaces or double “\\” to “\ ” so check closely and delete the double spaces or slashes. Or so it was in some versions of macOS and Terminal, but not always. It hasn’t happened to me lately.

Press return and enter your password when asked. When it is done, connect it to the target Mac. Press the power button and if it’s a Silicon Mac, keep holding down the power button until the list of startup drives come up. Select the installer and it should automatically launch the installer. Good luck.

Reaction score

First, the installer application needs to be on the Mac creating the bootable installer. It can be located anywhere but in my example, it is inside the /Applications folder (top level). You will then format either a thumb drive (USB) or external drive, formatted HFS+. Give it a recognizable name like “Install macOS Sonoma.” Next, launch Terminal and enter the code:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma

You can see that the file “Install macOS Sonoma.app” is located inside the Applications folder, and your target (installer drive) is “Install macOS Sonoma” (without the quotes, of course). So make sure the target drive is connected and shows up in Finder.

You can then simply copy and paste the code I entered above, BUT know that Terminal might add spaces or double “\\” to “\ ” so check closely and delete the double spaces or slashes. Or so it was in some versions of macOS and Terminal, but not always. It hasn’t happened to me lately.

Press return and enter your password when asked. When it is done, connect it to the target Mac. Press the power button and if it’s a Silicon Mac, keep holding down the power button until the list of startup drives come up. Select the installer and it should automatically launch the installer. Good luck.
I made a high Sierra bootable drive.
Which partially works, it loads the drive but then it hangs when it's completely loaded.
So not sure.
Went into macOS utilities again to see if I could restore that way but it wouldn't give me the option to use the drive as a restore point.
Even though it's listed as a recovery next to the recovery on the disc.

Going into terminal it won't recognise the Sudo command.

Considering how this laptop failed I am wondering if the actual drive isn't broken.

It just shutdown almost as if it was overheating and everything was gone.
But since it still has its recovery partition it doesn't make sense.
Unless the recovery partition is seperate "drive"

Reaction score

Which partially works, it loads the drive but then it hangs when it's completely loaded.
So not sure.
Went into macOS utilities again to see if I could restore that way but it wouldn't give me the option to use the drive as a restore point.

Considering how this laptop failed I am wondering if the actual drive isn't broken.

When I remove the volume.
I can press restore and choose either the recovery partition or the bootable drive.

But both give an error.
"The volume on device "/Dev/disk4" is not of a type apple_hfs or apple_ufs
Could not validate source - device not configured
Osstatus error 6

Reaction score
Creating a bootable USB for Ventura 13 on Windows can be a bit tricky. You can try using a tool like "TransMac" to create a bootable macOS USB from the PKG file. As for DMG files, they're usually specific to macOS versions, and finding download links might be challenging.

Reaction score

So not sure.

When I remove the volume.
I can press restore and choose either the recovery partition or the bootable drive.

But both give an error.
"The volume on device "/Dev/disk4" is not of a type apple_hfs or apple_ufs
Could not validate source - device not configured
Osststus
Creating a bootable USB for Ventura 13 on Windows can be a bit tricky. You can try using a tool like "TransMac" to create a bootable macOS USB from the PKG file. As for DMG files, they're usually specific to macOS versions, and finding download links might be challenging.
Yeah highest version you can find is high Sierra.
Anything newer you won't find.

But I would assume that high Sierra would install.
Though since I am getting an error with even that I'm not sure what else to do.
Kind of our of ideas how to proceed with this.

Reaction score
Try rebooting into Safe Mode. The hope is to disable as many background processes as possible. You just need to have an internet connection and to be able to get to Finder and launch Terminal.app. (/System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).

Once in Terminal, enter the following command:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

and press return.

This is what I get on my system,

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 11.25.42.png

The list shows available installers for my Mac (Monterey to Sonoma). If you do get a list, look for the system version that you wish to obtain. Make a note of the version that you want. For my example, if I want to get the latest beta version, that would be 14.3. Now enter the following command:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.3

Replace “14.3” with your choice. Press return, enter your password, and it will start downloading the installer file to your Applications folder. It will let you know when this is done. This is probably the best time to install it while you’re in Safe Mode. Good luck.

Ask a Question