MacBook Pro 2017 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 - Strange Issues Please Help!

Reaction score
Over the last few days the computer has started doing strange things:
One of the usb-c ports is not charging, nor recognising external drives.
Both usb-c ports say "device connected is drawing too much power, disconnect and try again" Trying again does nothing
If I put the machine to sleep by closing the lid, and leave it for a while, it will not wakeup. The only way to power it on is to plug it in, and it still shows that the battery has juice. If I pull the power cable immediately, it turns off, but if I leave it powered for a minute and then pull the cable, it works.

I'm really at a loss here. Machine hasn't been dropped/had anything spilt on it.

I've tried SMC and PRAM reset.

Any thoughts? I'm on Ventura 13.2

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Normally, if an SMC reset doesn't correct the issue, then it is a hardware issue with the MBP I/O board and/or logic board. Is there any physical damage or any possible liquid damge on that side of the MBP?

C

Reaction score
Thanks!

I took the machine to apple.

Genius Bar had a look, no water damage. Their solution £500 to replace the logic board lol.

Took it to a computer shop for 2nd opinion. 1 thing I hadn't mentioned on here was apple replaced the butterfly keyboard/battery last year under warranty as keyboard was faulty which is known issue. Guy in the comp shop said it looks like the replacement might have been badly installed by apple (said the screws look like they had stripped slightly), and suggested going back to them and seeing if they will replace. His other solution was to replace the usb-c port controller on the Mac (cd32?).

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I have the same issue - I have a new keyboard and battery. I recently went back to "factory settings" and on Ventura 13.2.1
When I unplug it just dies which makes it tied to a desk and me with it!

Ask a Question