Macbook Pro 13" HDD problems

Reaction score
Hi mac-help,

I just bought a macbook pro 3 days ago, and the thing is lightning fast. But yesterday i installed Windows 7 with boot camp, and then i installed parallels and used the same partition of windows to access in parallels. Still no problem so far, until i started using parallels, the virtual machine crashes when trying to open bs player, and the impatient person i am, i start clicking buttons like there is no tomorrow. Resulting in OS X crashing as well. At this point my patience has run out, so i kill the laptop by holding the on/off switch. And the thing shuts down. But the next bootup takes, and i am not joking, 30 minutes. Booting windows 7 from the partition also takes around 10 minutes to boot all of the sudden. Oh well i think, i'll just erase everything on the harddrive, and make a new partition with the OS X cd.. The problem is now, that whenever i change something on the harddisc, like installing a program, the bootup takes 30 minutes again. The only thing i can do to change this is boot from the OS X cd and repair the access and repair the drive it self. Then bootup takes around 40 seconds. Has anyone got the answer to this insane problem? Is my hdd completely fried? The thing is 4 days old, and i really dont want to send it in to apple, because i just got the thing and i need it bad for school. I know this is half a letter, sorry.

- Thomsen1989

Reaction score
Hi Thomsen1989,

Your best bet would be to back up whatever you want to keep first, erase evrything on the hard drive and re-install Mac OS X. There is an apple gudie on how to do this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3200

Use that. It worked for me. But then I suddenly had a screwed up screen which was a manufacturers fault with my macbook pro. Make sure you have the Mac OS X install disc with you. Also I would strongly advise keeping a time machine backup if you don't already. Ifyou have kept one you can re-install from your Backup so you won't loose anything.

Hope this helps

:)

Reaction score
Thank you.. Dont know if I made this clear enough, but i did that 4 times already (reinstall OS X) :) Luckily the problem is gone now. I repared the HDD so many times, i think it's in better shape now than when i got the laptop. Everything runs smooth, and the thing is lightningfast :) But for further use, im gonna keep my distance regarding Parallels :/ What a waist..

Ask a Question