Bypassing the HDD password on old 2008 Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently having some issues with having my Macbook Pro 15" late 2008 edition fixed. I was initially only experiencing issues with the screen, and was told that it would need replacing, which I proceeded with.

On collection, the computer was not turning on. I was told that the Macbook HDD required a password, and that none of the passwords submitted worked. (Apparently, they used their own drive during the repair on the screen, which is standard procedure to protect customer's data). Now they are telling me that because they don't know the password, they cannot directly access the data on it. They say the only solution is to do a data recovery which will not be perfect as it will unlikely be able to recover file names and folders, and I will have to reinstall all applications. I have asked for a picture of the screen on turning the macbook on, to see if it will evoke my memory of a password. Apparently, it now only goes straight to recovery screen.

I am sceptical that I am being told the truth, because I have no recollection of setting the password. I would like to know 3 things:
  1. Does the screen turn to 'Recovery Screen' after the HDD password has been entered incorrectly too many times?
  2. My Macbook Pro is from the late 2008 family: Is it possible to set HDD passwords for computers of this age?
  3. Is there any other solution than data recover? ie. Could a Mac shop recover it?
Many Thanks, Camilla

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

1. I don't think it will lock you out for too many attempts, haven't experienced that.
2. Yes, you can set passwords for pretty much all models of Macs.
3. Most Mac service shops don't perform data recovery.

-Which version of Mac OS X?
-Did you have FileVault enabled?
-What does the recovery screen you mentioned look like? What information is it requesting/can you enter there?
-Did they leave their drive in your Mac?

It doesn't sound like they are giving you the correct information.

-Was this an actual Apple Store, or an Authorized Apple Service Provider?
-Do you have an Apple Store close to you that you could visit?

C

Ask a Question