Mac Studio M2 - SDATA enclosures?

Reaction score
Anyone recommend SDATA dock stations or hard drive enclosures (ie., multiple drives) that are reliable and compatible with MacOS without issues?

Reaction score
Anyone recommend SDATA dock stations or hard drive enclosures (ie., multiple drives) that are reliable and compatible with MacOS without issues?
I have a pair of Akitio Thunder3 Quad X (Thunderbolt 3 SATA enclosures, 4 slots each) but it looks like they are not available right now. I would instantly buy another one, in case one of mine were to fail. I have looked at alternatives but none seem to be as good, or affordable. But if I were desperate right now to get one, I would go to OWC (macsales.com). The Akitios support SMART monitoring and has TRIM support for attached SATA SSDs. I can’t speak for any of the newer models, but SMART and TRIM support are things to inquire about when you look at available models. I have had these enclosures since 2019, and I haven’t had anything go wrong with them, and they constantly run 24/7, and working as well with my M1 Max Studio.

The main thing in favor of most of the newer units is Thunderbolt 4 compatibility, if your Mac has it.

Ask a Question