Multiple screen issues with Mac Studio M2 Ultra

Reaction score
Hi everyone
on the 13.07.2023 I purchased a Mac Studio M2 Ultra with a Studio Display to replace my aging IMac Pro,I also have two LG 27’’ 5K monitors so I couldn’t wait to return to my home office a set everything’s up,I have 3 screens as I have ADHD and like to multi task as well as edit images and video,so after the initial set I found to my surprise that only two screens worked plus at the wrong resolutions,so after going though many scenarios i decided to contact apple support, after 2 days off of trying many solutions they decided it was a hardware problem and sent me back to my back to my local Apple Store for an exchang,being a business customer of Apple the exchange was ready and waiting with many apologies from the excellent store team,so i headed back home to get everything up and running, well my excitement was extremely short lived as low and behold it had the exact same problem as before, so I get back in touch with apple and get assigned my own personal expert to work on this issue, so after 2 more days of trial and error he said he would talk to the Apple engineers with regards a solution, excellent I thought won’t take long now, how wrong could I be,after leaving message after message I finally received a reply two weeks later and was told the engineers were getting back to him in a few days,again after 10 days of leaving messages I finally got so fed up I called my support team only to be put though to someone who I can only describe as extremely rude and very frustrating,I was basically told that I’d have to wait until this problem was sorted out by the engineers and in so many words I’d have to wait weather I was a business customer or not,also when I asked if this was a worldwide issue he got rather irate and said I not at liberty to answear those question,when I explained that I had ADHD and that my work for my import and distribution company was suffering his Answear was what do you expect me to do,I’m now at a complete loss and at the mercy of Apple after nearly 32 years as a loyal customer and this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem with any Apple product I’ve purchased in that time,so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated as I’m really struggling with this situation!
thanks everyone
Foxx Artizan

Reaction score
Hi everyone
on the 13.07.2023 I purchased a Mac Studio M2 Ultra with a Studio Display to replace my aging IMac Pro,I also have two LG 27’’ 5K monitors so I couldn’t wait to return to my home office a set everything’s up,I have 3 screens as I have ADHD and like to multi task as well as edit images and video,so after the initial set I found to my surprise that only two screens worked plus at the wrong resolutions,so after going though many scenarios i decided to contact apple support, after 2 days off of trying many solutions they decided it was a hardware problem and sent me back to my back to my local Apple Store for an exchang,being a business customer of Apple the exchange was ready and waiting with many apologies from the excellent store team,so i headed back home to get everything up and running, well my excitement was extremely short lived as low and behold it had the exact same problem as before, so I get back in touch with apple and get assigned my own personal expert to work on this issue, so after 2 more days of trial and error he said he would talk to the Apple engineers with regards a solution, excellent I thought won’t take long now, how wrong could I be,after leaving message after message I finally received a reply two weeks later and was told the engineers were getting back to him in a few days,again after 10 days of leaving messages I finally got so fed up I called my support team only to be put though to someone who I can only describe as extremely rude and very frustrating,I was basically told that I’d have to wait until this problem was sorted out by the engineers and in so many words I’d have to wait weather I was a business customer or not,also when I asked if this was a worldwide issue he got rather irate and said I not at liberty to answear those question,when I explained that I had ADHD and that my work for my import and distribution company was suffering his Answear was what do you expect me to do,I’m now at a complete loss and at the mercy of Apple after nearly 32 years as a loyal customer and this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem with any Apple product I’ve purchased in that time,so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated as I’m really struggling with this situation!
thanks everyone
Foxx Artizan
Foxx, what models are the 27" LGs, since I have two LG 32" displays at 4K. Although I don’t think the 5K resolution (5120x2880) would be the issue because I doubt that you would ever need to set them at those resolutions. What connections are you using for each (display side) and what ports are you using from the Studio?

I have played with different combinations of ports and connectors but what I decided was the best was HDMI. Since my Studio has only one HDMI port, I ended using that and a Thunderbolt 4 to HDMI cable for the other.

I assume that you are up-to-date in Ventura (10.4.1, I think)? Sometimes hardware issues like this (not widespread) are quietly fixed by Apple in their updates. Don’t even ask me about the problem with dual monitors not working (in Monterey, I think) which they could not fix for several months. Anyway, my displays setup works fine even in Sonoma. Encouraging.

Reaction score
I’ve been though all of these scenarios with the Apple support team with no luck but my problem is maybe the same as yours in Monterey because the support guy was extremely off with me when i told that the first one had been exchanged and the second one had exactly the same problem and if this is the case then a solution will take time,many thanx for your reply

Reaction score
I’ve been though all of these scenarios with the Apple support team with no luck but my problem is maybe the same as yours in Monterey because the support guy was extremely off with me when i told that the first one had been exchanged and the second one had exactly the same problem and if this is the case then a solution will take time,many thanx for your reply
Any reason for not upgrading to Ventura? I’m still curious to know how the displays are connected to the Mac.

Reaction score
Sorry the screens are connected with thunderbolt cable plus you can also use USB-3 and I’ve ordered some more to test out,and I’m fully up to date with all screens and the OS

Reaction score
Hi There,

You said that you have 2 LG's and that you have 3 displays. A couple of questions and comments...

What is the 3rd display?
How is the 3rd display connected?
Is the display that doesn’t work one of the LGs?

Is it possible that you are using the wrong ports on the LG Displays, or one of your Thunderbolt cables going to the LG Displays is bad?

When connecting the displays to your Studio make sure that you are using good Thunderbolt 3 cables. USB-c cables will not work.

Also on the displays, make sure that the Thunderbolt cable is plugged into the Thunderbolt port. This is the one that has a Thunderbolt symbol and an oval around the port. It is closest to the power cable. The USB-c ports on the LG display is for connecting peripherals only.

Ask a Question