Multiple files with the same names.

Reaction score
File folders started disappearing from my desktop and some files in the remaining file folders disappeared. I went through my Mac and found some Individual files. I finally realized I had multiple files and file folders with the same name. For instance, my desktop. I have found four separate versions of my desktop saved with identical names in different odd folders. I didn't know that was possible. I pulled files and file folders I needed from three desktop versions and combined them with the fourth, most complete desktop version. I am finding other duplicates of files and file folders as time goes on. I have no idea what happened, what I may have done or why my desktop was saved under the same title in various odd file folders. I am perplexed. Any ideas how or why it happened and how's to correct it? I am running macOS Monterey version 12.5.1 on a 15 inch 2017 MacBook Pro with a 2.8 Ghz Quad-core intel Core i7. Thank you for your time and attention.

Reaction score
File folders started disappearing from my desktop and some files in the remaining file folders disappeared. I went through my Mac and found some Individual files. I finally realized I had multiple files and file folders with the same name. For instance, my desktop. I have found four separate versions of my desktop saved with identical names in different odd folders. I didn't know that was possible. I pulled files and file folders I needed from three desktop versions and combined them with the fourth, most complete desktop version. I am finding other duplicates of files and file folders as time goes on. I have no idea what happened, what I may have done or why my desktop was saved under the same title in various odd file folders. I am perplexed. Any ideas how or why it happened and how's to correct it? I am running macOS Monterey version 12.5.1 on a 15 inch 2017 MacBook Pro with a 2.8 Ghz Quad-core intel Core i7. Thank you for your time and attention.
In your iCloud systems settings, do you have Desktop & Documents Folders set to sync with iCloud? And if you do, is Optimize Mac Storage also turned on? I have had several problems like what you describe happen when I had the latter selected. I was simply curious to see how it functioned even when I never allowed my system drive to become critically low in free space.

I also have to double-check these setting from time to time because the system somehow surreptitiously turns it on without my doing so. I would never allow Apple to automatically decide which files to keep or remove from my local drive.

Reaction score
In your iCloud systems settings, do you have Desktop & Documents Folders set to sync with iCloud? And if you do, is Optimize Mac Storage also turned on? I have had several problems like what you describe happen when I had the latter selected. I was simply curious to see how it functioned even when I never allowed my system drive to become critically low in free space.

I also have to double-check these setting from time to time because the system somehow surreptitiously turns it on without my doing so. I would never allow Apple to automatically decide which files to keep or remove from my local drive.
Thanks a million. It's nice to know I'm not crazy or alone. I will do as you suggested and post a success or failure. Thanks again.

Ask a Question