MacBook Pro having all sorts of issues even after multiple re-installations of the OS

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2019) running Monterey 12.4. Lately, the machine has been having the following issues:

- I get a message that reads "Volume Hash Mismatch: Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s5. macOS should be reinstalled on this volume".

- Programs quit unexpectedly all the time. If I start them again, sometimes, they run, sometimes they quit again and I have to try two or three times, and sometimes they will keep quitting until I restart the computer.

- Browser tabs keep crashing, no matter the browser (have tried with Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari). This does not depend on the website visited.

- The computer restarts all of a sudden. I'm working and suddenly everything freezes, there is a short sound like a fan and the computer restarts.

- Many days I just close the computer and the next morning when I open it, it has restarted during the night.

- I am unable to install masOs updates or Xcode. If I try to download an update, the update downloads, then starts, then after a while I get a message saying either that "There was a problem" or that the installer was damaged and that I have to download again. No matter how many times I try, I keep getting the same message.

Last week I tried to install an update for Xcode. The update downloaded, started running and then I got the message that the installation had failed. Not only that but my installed version of Xcode was deleted. I spent literally all day trying to download Xcode. I tried doing it through the store and it wouldn't work. I tried downloading different beta versions from Apple Developer, all of them said that the file was damaged. Eventually after trying and trying the installation finally went through.

Since I kept getting the "macOS should be reinstalled" issue, I tried reinstalling Monterey. It wouldn't do it, as it kept saying that the installer was damaged. I went ahead and tried a factory reinstall (to Catalina), it wouldn't do it. After trying and trying it did. I did delete the disk before the re-installation. When I finally had Catalina installed and tried to upgrade the OS I kept getting the same error, either "There was an error" or "The fie is damaged". I tried normal mode, safe mode, recovery mode, I tried downloading the installer on a different computer. I tried downloading with another internet connection. Nothing would work. And then after trying and trying and trying, one time it went ahead and installed (though it restarted in the middle of the install and got message about "Your computer restarted because of a problem".

I took the computer to Apple (initially because of the restarts and the browser crashes) they said they had reinstalled the os and that there weren't any hardware issues. Days later I started getting the Hash Mismatch pop up and things got worse and worse as days passed.

I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm taking it back to Apple next week but that didn't help the first time. The computer has gone through about 3 disk wipes and multiple OS installations and the problems persist.

Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2019) running Monterey 12.4. Lately, the machine has been having the following issues:

- I get a message that reads "Volume Hash Mismatch: Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s5. macOS should be reinstalled on this volume".

- Programs quit unexpectedly all the time. If I start them again, sometimes, they run, sometimes they quit again and I have to try two or three times, and sometimes they will keep quitting until I restart the computer.

- Browser tabs keep crashing, no matter the browser (have tried with Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari). This does not depend on the website visited.

- The computer restarts all of a sudden. I'm working and suddenly everything freezes, there is a short sound like a fan and the computer restarts.

- Many days I just close the computer and the next morning when I open it, it has restarted during the night.

- I am unable to install masOs updates or Xcode. If I try to download an update, the update downloads, then starts, then after a while I get a message saying either that "There was a problem" or that the installer was damaged and that I have to download again. No matter how many times I try, I keep getting the same message.

Last week I tried to install an update for Xcode. The update downloaded, started running and then I got the message that the installation had failed. Not only that but my installed version of Xcode was deleted. I spent literally all day trying to download Xcode. I tried doing it through the store and it wouldn't work. I tried downloading different beta versions from Apple Developer, all of them said that the file was damaged. Eventually after trying and trying the installation finally went through.

Since I kept getting the "macOS should be reinstalled" issue, I tried reinstalling Monterey. It wouldn't do it, as it kept saying that the installer was damaged. I went ahead and tried a factory reinstall (to Catalina), it wouldn't do it. After trying and trying it did. I did delete the disk before the re-installation. When I finally had Catalina installed and tried to upgrade the OS I kept getting the same error, either "There was an error" or "The fie is damaged". I tried normal mode, safe mode, recovery mode, I tried downloading the installer on a different computer. I tried downloading with another internet connection. Nothing would work. And then after trying and trying and trying, one time it went ahead and installed (though it restarted in the middle of the install and got message about "Your computer restarted because of a problem".

I took the computer to Apple (initially because of the restarts and the browser crashes) they said they had reinstalled the os and that there weren't any hardware issues. Days later I started getting the Hash Mismatch pop up and things got worse and worse as days passed.

I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm taking it back to Apple next week but that didn't help the first time. The computer has gone through about 3 disk wipes and multiple OS installations and the problems persist.

Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
The “Volume Hash Mismatch” error first started making its rounds during the beta versions of macOS Monterey and back then, there was no resolution to the problem. And now that Monterey has been widely released, more and more reports of this problem are coming up. It may be a combination of hardware or firmware and operating system issues. If Apple service is only wiping your drive and reinstalling macOS Monterey, I doubt if it will fix the problem.

Personally, I would try downgrading, not to Catalina (which your Mac came with,) but to Big Sur. You might need another Mac to download the installer. Try to reset the SMC, and then wiping the startup drive before installing. I hope you had a complete data backup before all this came up.

What we can hope for is that it was not a hardware damage caused by macOS Monterey. For now, it is almost certainly a connection between Monterey and (a few) Mac computers.

Ask a Question