Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" (model A1286) upgrade to SSD

Reaction score
My MacBook, which is fitted with the original 750GB HDD (which is pretty full - 10% free space), has been getting very hot and taking 15 minutes to boot up to fully working, so I was thinking of installing an SSD and possibly a new battery. I have been offered a Dell 2.5" SATA 3.84TB SSD (pic attached). I would be grateful if anybody could tell me if this would be suitable for my MacBook.

Attachments

• 20220611_204303 copy.jpg
    20220611_204303 copy.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 7

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Most 2.5" SSDs will work in your Mac. However, that particular model is a Dell OEM Enterprise-class SSD that was designed for Dell PowerEdge servers, so it may/may not have specific firmware for those computers. You can always try it, as it shouldn't hurt anything.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I will give it a try and if the Mac isn't happy with it I will probably go down the Crucial 1TB SSD route.
If I put the Dell in an enclosure would it be possible to format it so the Mac would see it as an external drive?
Also thanks for the welcome.

Ask a Question