WindowServer causes MacBook pro to shut down all the time

Reaction score
Hello dear Mac community,

My big problem is that I am not able to start my MacBook Pro (2015, model A1502) anymore.

The laptop suddenly went black and showed the message "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

The first few times I could restart it, and I was shown following error message: "WindowServer quit unexpectedly."

I took a quick picture of the error report, here a few details:

OS version: macOS 12.3. 1
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_MEMORY_ERROR and a bunch of numbers
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Terminating reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 10 Bus error: 10
Terminating pricess: exc handler [446]

Unfortunately, the Safe Mode does not work at all, here I cannot even login. In normal mode, I can login to my account, but then immediately the system shuts off again and I am not able to do anything.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do? The problem is, I volunteering in Sumatra right now in a village where there is no wi-fi, only bad data signal via hotspot, and of course neither a MacStore.

Thank you very very much in advance!
Hans

Reaction score
Hello dear Mac community,

My big problem is that I am not able to start my MacBook Pro (2015, model A1502) anymore.

The laptop suddenly went black and showed the message "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

The first few times I could restart it, and I was shown following error message: "WindowServer quit unexpectedly."

I took a quick picture of the error report, here a few details:

OS version: macOS 12.3. 1
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_MEMORY_ERROR and a bunch of numbers
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Terminating reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 10 Bus error: 10
Terminating pricess: exc handler [446]

Unfortunately, the Safe Mode does not work at all, here I cannot even login. In normal mode, I can login to my account, but then immediately the system shuts off again and I am not able to do anything.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do? The problem is, I volunteering in Sumatra right now in a village where there is no wi-fi, only bad data signal via hotspot, and of course neither a MacStore.

Thank you very very much in advance!
Hans
Quick update: After leaving my MacBook alone for 15 minutes, I could start it again and close all windows and software I had opened. I was shown another error message, this time it was the loginwindow that caused the issue. After closing everything, I restarted the Mac without the ootion to reopen all open windows. And now the same - I cannot login, and sometimes my Mac even crushes at the login window without me doing something.

Maybe this is also important: For some time now, sometimes my Mac goes into sleeping mode when it is not connected to the charging cable, saying that the battery is emoty, although it's fully charged. Then I have to connect it to electricity for a minute and everything works perfectly before.

This also happened once during all these shut-downs. I am quite desperate because I need the laptop for my remote work. Thank you a lot for any help!

Reaction score
Update 2: I was shown the following message: "Volume Hash Mismatch

Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s5. macOS should be reinstalled on this volume."

But again, the MacBook shuts down immediately after. How can I reinstall it? And will my data be lost?

Thank you again!

Reaction score
Update 2: I was shown the following message: "Volume Hash Mismatch

Hash mismatch detected on volume disk1s5. macOS should be reinstalled on this volume."

But again, the MacBook shuts down immediately after. How can I reinstall it? And will my data be lost?

Thank you again!
From your description it looks like reinstalling macOS is your best (only) choice. Before doing so, you should reset the System Management Controller (SMC). I believe, for your MacBook Pro, from a shutdown, press and hold down Control-Option-Shift (on the left side of the keyboard) and then press the power button for 10 seconds. Afterwards, you can reboot. Out of curiosity, why don’t you restart normally to see if the situation is improved somehow.

I would still advise you to reinstall macOS from Recovery. From shutdown, press the power button and immediately hold down Command-R. This will bring you into recovery. This will give you the option to reinstall the system. You will need to be connected to the internet to do the procedure. Good luck.

Reaction score
Dear Tony,

Thank you very much! I did the SMC reset, but without success.

I was able to run the First Aid in the recovery mode, and it indeed detected that my data storage is corrupted, recommending to erase it and reinstall the MacOS.

There is a bar here in the village that has okay-ish wifi, I will try to reinstall MacOS Monterey there tomorrow from the recovery boot in the hope that my data will be safe.

If it doesn't work, I will take a long ride back to civilisation where there is a Mac repair store in order to create a backup and then erase the disk completely, before reinstalling Monterey again.

Thank you so much! I will say tomorrow which option worked.

Reaction score
Okay, because the wifi in the village was not fast enough with 3mbps to reinstall Monterey, I drove to the capital to a Apple repair store. It turned out the problem was the battery - it was "swollen" physically. The staff said that the battery would cause the software error and wrongly indicate that it's a corrupted hard disk drive. So I will get my battery switched and everything should work again. If not, they were able to backup all my data and I might need to reinstall my operating system, but maybe that's not even necessary.

Thanks a lot for your help Tony!

Ask a Question