can anyone tell me what causes this pattern on the screen of a powerbook

what causes the pattern as shown on images that has suddenly appeared on the screen of my powerbook?

• big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • small

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what causes this pattern to suddenly occur on the screen of my powerbook?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    335.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    308.5 KB · Views: 329
Reaction score
Hi,

Is this a constant issue?

Try the following.
1) Boot Mac - boot up with command+option+R+P keys pressed then release after three bootup chimes if you get a normal grey screen with the Apple logo that is good.

2) Now reboot but from your apple install disk while pressing the option key and then selecting to boot from the disk rather than the HDD. When it came to the "Choose language" screen.

if there is no distortion on the screen doing the above then I suspect it to be a software issue and not hardware, so a clean install of OS X might be the way to go.
But if you still get the distortion may have to replace motherboard, something could have failed IE the graphics processor.:(

Reaction score
can anyone tell me what causes this pattern to suddenly occur on the screen of my powerbook?
Hi,

Is this a constant issue?

Try the following.
1) Boot Mac - boot up with command+option+R+P keys pressed then release after three bootup chimes if you get a normal grey screen with the Apple logo that is good.

2) Now reboot but from your apple install disk while pressing the option key and then selecting to boot from the disk rather than the HDD. When it came to the "Choose language" screen.

if there is no distortion on the screen doing the above then I suspect it to be a software issue and not hardware, so a clean install of OS X might be the way to go.
But if you still get the distortion may have to replace motherboard, something could have failed IE the graphics processor.:(

Reaction score
the problem is intermittent but happens not long after the computer boots up.
Thanks for your reply I will give your suggestions a go.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Do you have a monitor you could attach to verify that the pattern appears there too?

This is usually a sign that the graphics processor/card on the logic board has failed or is failing, as oldscribe stated. Unfortunately, it will require a hardware repair. Powerbooks have been obsolete for years and parts are hard to find, usually refurbished, and preventatively expensive.

C

Ask a Question