Hi - I'll be eternally grateful to anyone who can tell me how to use this site!

Reaction score
It is so frustrating to post msgs and have them just discarded. This is a test msg - if it works I'll try my real question tomorrow.

Cheers
MartiInChico

Reaction score
This is simply not true, we have answered every question in each tread you have posted in, including this one. None of your messages have been discarded I can easily find every post you have made. If you aren't post real questions today, you might like to come back tomorrow. In the meantime you might like to do a little research on how to ask good questions.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi MartiInChico,

I think I may know what has happened - as I got your e-mail and saw your status updates. I think you have been trying to send "conversations" to post your questions in some cases, rather than starting a public "thread" which everyone can view and reply to.

If you go to the main https://www.mac-help.com page and then click on the section relating to your problem (for example, "Mac Desktops" or whatever is appropriate) and then click the "post new thread" button just like you did to create this introductions thread.

Reaction score
THANK YOU KAVEMAN AND IAN!!!

Last week I did ask what is the difference between a 'conversation" and a "thread" and also, if you want to reply to someone else's post, how do you get the iPad to open a keyboard so you can write a reply?
Ian,e last night you told me to poke a button- I can't remember what you said was on it, but no such button existed on the page we were on.
But then I went to another page and Viola! There it was - of course too late to do me any good.
I wrote my question in a draft post last night but when I tried to post it, received an error msg, "You must have at least one valid recipient". Well, of course I didn't have one because I don't anyone here. So I went to a page headed Members to choose a name at random (with apologies) but when I tried to return to the draft of my post, it had been deleted.
I should say that it is possible that there have been some answers via email to queries I've sent to the "Contact Us" button, if so thank you I do not wish to appear ungrateful, but I cannot access the MacBook at the moment because I'm hooked up to a TENS unit with cables and electrodes tying me down.

Cheers
MartiInChico

Reaction score
Hi,

if you want to reply to someone else's post, how do you get the iPad to open a keyboard so you can write a reply?

Once you are logged in and want to reply to a post you should see the reply box under the last post on the thread you are reading as my screen shot, on my iPad I just tap anywhere within the reply box and the keyboard opens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 23.02.57.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 23.02.57.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 370

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Last week I did ask what is the difference between a 'conversation" and a "thread"

A conversation is personal between 2 members. Every member has an inbox connected to their account and a conversation is also a PM or personal message.
A thread is a public conversation. The forums are divided into sections, 'gaming' 'applications' 'programming' etc etc and you ask a question using the 'post new thread' button at the top right of each section and hopefully receive answers.

We are all volunteers here & try to do our best but the reality is that there is no given promise that all threads will be answered. It can be extremely frustrating but there really are no guarantees.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh wow - a reply box!!!

Now if I could just figure out what I did to make it appear!
Hi,

Yes I did answer your question re slowness, but you did not reply.

Now here is another reply to question someone else posted - mean it is interesting but wasn't my question. As for my not replying, I have spent the days since trying to figure out to make a reply box appear. Now that I've done it once, it may be easier to do again.

Reaction score
Hi,

Oh wow - a reply box!!!

Now if I could just figure out what I did to make it appear!

I am on phone same iOS as iPad and as you can see from screen shot for forum threads the reply box is there automatically.;) Just scroll past last post on the thread you are on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 381
Reaction score
Having a difficult time finding where to post a message also. Need help with Imac. Apple will no longer help on a mac over five years old. Speed horrible. Help.....

Reaction score
Hi Fargo welcome,

To start you thread log into the forum the choose a topic that is relevant, in your case it would be desktops as my first image. Click the heading Mac Desktops and a new page will open. At the top right you will see the post new thread box as in my second image. Click it and write your post, giveing as much information about your Mac as possible and its symptoms.

Maybe a mod could move this as you have hijacked anthers thread.

Attachments

• Forum.jpg
    Forum.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Forum2.jpg
    Forum2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
This is simply not true, we have answered every question in each tread you have posted in, including this one. None of your messages have been discarded I can easily find every post you have made. If you aren't post real questions today, you might like to come back tomorrow. In the meantime you might like to do a little research on how to ask good questions.

Reaction score
Kaveman, I'm sorry my problem/question offends you, but if I dont describe it, how will I get an answer/ help? I am not a liar. I have had posts deleted between the time I wrote the draft, then I got an error because I hadnt put in a recipient, because I didnt know I so I went looking for a recipient, and when I returned, my draft had been deleted. I cannot recall the circumstances of the other lost posts because it's been a year.

I'm delighted you can find all my posts - I sure wish I could do that! If I knew how to find my posts, I might be able to find out if anyone has responded to them.

Some of the forums/lists/groups I'm on send an email to a member when his/her questions have been answered - that's a very nice feature.

Also thank you for your irritable suggestion that I "go away and come back tomorrow and in the meantime go away and do a little research on how to ask good questions".
May I suggest, with all due respect, that a good response is on that contains information, rather than just skanky criticisms/denunciations of the lost/puzzled/frustrated newbie.

In the present case, for example, you might have defined 'good question' and pointed to a source where this 'research' can be successfully conducted.

Reaction score
Having a difficult time finding where to post a message also. Need help with Imac. Apple will no longer help on a mac over five years old. Speed horrible. Help.....

Hi Fargo - I'm sure you've got your speed question answered by now as your post is a year old, but I wanted to thank you for posting message saying you were having trouble finding where to post a message. I'm encouraged to know I'm not the only one.
I wish I'd seen your speed question earlier, let me know if you are still having trouble.

cheers
marti

Reaction score
A conversation is personal between 2 members. Every member has an inbox connected to their account and a conversation is also a PM or personal message.
A thread is a public conversation. The forums are divided into sections, 'gaming' 'applications' 'programming' etc etc and you ask a question using the 'post new thread' button at the top right of each section and hopefully receive answers.

We are all volunteers here & try to do our best but the reality is that there is no given promise that all threads will be answered. It can be extremely frustrating but there really are no guarantees.

Thank you, Spawn -

It is so encouraging to receive a real answer instead of simply being excoriated for one's question!
(Spawn is a rather uncommon name - do you work on fish?)

Ask a Question