Macbook having problems with power button and sleeping/waking up

Reaction score
Hi- hoping you guys can help.

I recently replaced the hard drive in my black Macbook (mid 2007 model). While in the Apple store, I had OS 10.6.8 installed and also had the keyboard and top bezel replaced due to cracks. I installed all the updates to the OS.

When I try to put it sleep by pressing the power button, the normal options ("Restart"
Shut Down" "Sleep") do not appear. The power button works to turn on the computer from being Shut Down (obviously), but I receive no reaction to pressing the power button when it's on. I can put the computer to sleep by going to the Apple menu in the top left. The computer does not wake up when I press the power button. Occasionally (about 20% of the time) it wakes up when I double click the keypad or press "Esc". I type in my password, and then the screen freezes and I have to power off the computer by holding down the power button for a few seconds. If it doesn't wake up I end up having to power off in the same way because the screen just remains black. I don't believe turning the computer off like this is good for it.

Any suggestions? The nearest apple store isn't close and I would like to avoid making the trip again.:confused:

Reaction score
No, it not good for it.

As a moving part the Power Button is the last thing to use for Sleep or Restarts, there is both a Menu and Keyboard shortcut for this. You can also setup a Hot Corner. Energy Saver has the Allow Power Button to put the computer to sleep, but I wouldn't use it for that purpose.

As to the wake from sleep crash, you'll need to did a little deeper.

I just use Space it is the biggest button on the computer to wake from sleep.

Reaction score
Kaveman, thanks for the quick reply! :) I guess the main issue is why it isn't waking up from sleep, and when it does, why it is freezing. No point in putting it to sleep if it does not wake up properly.

Reaction score
Tracking that reason down can be difficult.

Start by ensuring all you System Updates are done.

Next see if there is any thing in your Console Log at the time of not waking, maybe something is reporting a problem.

Ask a Question