Mac Studio Internet Issues (and more)

Reaction score
Mac user for about 8 years. Beautiful system that seems to work so well.

I upgraded from an iMac as soon as the Mac Studio was announced. System arrived yesterday. Upon connection it self downloaded the latest OS.

Let me preface by saying, as an electrical engineer, I have had experience troubleshooting complex electrical systems and like to consider myself fairly comfortable with computer systems. Until my experience(s) with the new Studio Mac. Kinda humbling.

Used the system migrate. Worked flawlessly. I turned off the iMac (older system) and began the checking of the newer Mac studio.

Before the show stopping no internet issue described below occurred, what I first noticed is that my second monitor seemed backwards. I made certain which monitor that I set as the default, but my mouse wold not move to the RIGHT to the second monitor. It ONLY moved to the left to flow to the second monitor which was on the right. Naturally, this was ultra confusing. While I was troubleshooting what I considered an easily fixable nit issue, my system said - you are not connected to the internet.

Went to system preferences and it said both the wifi AND the ethernet connection to the internet had self assigned IP addresses and would not be able to connect to the internet - and sure enough it did not connect to the internet.

Self assigned IP addresses? Seems quite a few people have run into this problem, but I could get none of their solutions to solve my problem.

Here's what I did. I checked for internet service on my iPad - yes, it was there. Naturally, I first rebooted the modem and router. Turned off the computer and back on and same issue. Then I "reset" the router using the reset button. No solution. Some folks said, go into system preferences/network and choose a new location. No such option on my system preferences. I could literally think of no further viable solutions. Considered, but discarded, buying a new router. Guess I could buy a new modem and new router, but this seems to be not understanding the problem.

As it now stands, the new Mac Studio sits on my second desk turned on, but unable to connect to the internet. I put my iMac back into service and it operates flawlessly.

Any ideas on how to fix this internet problem? Does apple have a paid service to assist? As it now stands I have a $3600 paper weight.

Reaction score

I upgraded from an iMac as soon as the Mac Studio was announced. System arrived yesterday. Upon connection it self downloaded the latest OS.

Let me preface by saying, as an electrical engineer, I have had experience troubleshooting complex electrical systems and like to consider myself fairly comfortable with computer systems. Until my experience(s) with the new Studio Mac. Kinda humbling.

Used the system migrate. Worked flawlessly. I turned off the iMac (older system) and began the checking of the newer Mac studio.

Before the show stopping no internet issue described below occurred, what I first noticed is that my second monitor seemed backwards. I made certain which monitor that I set as the default, but my mouse wold not move to the RIGHT to the second monitor. It ONLY moved to the left to flow to the second monitor which was on the right. Naturally, this was ultra confusing. While I was troubleshooting what I considered an easily fixable nit issue, my system said - you are not connected to the internet.

Went to system preferences and it said both the wifi AND the ethernet connection to the internet had self assigned IP addresses and would not be able to connect to the internet - and sure enough it did not connect to the internet.

Self assigned IP addresses? Seems quite a few people have run into this problem, but I could get none of their solutions to solve my problem.

Here's what I did. I checked for internet service on my iPad - yes, it was there. Naturally, I first rebooted the modem and router. Turned off the computer and back on and same issue. Then I "reset" the router using the reset button. No solution. Some folks said, go into system preferences/network and choose a new location. No such option on my system preferences. I could literally think of no further viable solutions. Considered, but discarded, buying a new router. Guess I could buy a new modem and new router, but this seems to be not understanding the problem.

As it now stands, the new Mac Studio sits on my second desk turned on, but unable to connect to the internet. I put my iMac back into service and it operates flawlessly.

Any ideas on how to fix this internet problem? Does apple have a paid service to assist? As it now stands I have a $3600 paper weight.
You should be able to get free support, especially for a brand-new Mac.

I must say that I’ve had 99% trouble-free experience with my Studio… so far. I think the dual monitor issue is from the placements being flip-flop. In Display Settings, with the image of the two screens side-by-side, drag one up and around the other so that they switch places. You can drag the menu bar icon to your primary display.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 06.27.23.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 06.27.23.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reaction score

I have similar experience- I migrated my Apps and data from iMac 2017 to mac studio , my mac studio shows connectivity to my ethernet and WIDFI however, I could not connect to Internet via Safari nor with Chrome. All my other devices work fine including I'm iMac, Have you solved your issue with connective?

Reaction score

I had a similar issue not being able to connect to Internet but just solved it. Went under Setting/Network and deleted an Entry of my Antivirus program. it solved my connectivity problem on the mac Studio

Ask a Question